Honda 11hp engine High Speed Idle problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cybervision, Mar 3, 2008.

1. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

I am having a problem with the High Speed Idle on my 11 HP Honda Snowblower. When running at Full speed with no load at all, the engine rpms are not constant. It is surging every second or two. Other than that the machine has plenty of power and runs very smooth when under load and throwing snow.

I noticed there are 2 adjustment screws on the carburetor. There is a small straight slotted screw just above the bowl and another larger Phillips screw further up on the carb. Does anyone know if either of these screws are for the fast idle?

The spark plug looks like new and is gapped set to .030 as per the manual. Other than that the machine looks like new and has only seen new clean gas each year. I purchased it new about 5 years ago.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I was ready to take this back to the dealer to get it fixed but after looking at the carb decided it may just be a simple adjustment. I have a 350 foot driveway and can't afford to have this machine go down on me.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the main jet is partly varnished over, You may try to take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then re-assemble.

The large plastic adjuster screw is for idle speed only, The other is the low speed fuel mixture. The high speed has a fixed jet (non adjustable).

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

That is because you don’t run your blower dry from season to season.:waving:

4. Restrorob

Doing that can come back to haunt you as well, Running a carb "dry" will let the viton tip on the float needle valve dry out and possibly get hard. When fresh fuel is added for the new season the float valve doesn't shut the fuel off thus floods all over.

Another thing is running one "dry" does not get all the fuel out of the bottom of the bowl, There is still a little in the bottom that can turn to gum.

The best way to store a unit is adding fuel stabilizer to the tank and let the unit run 10/15 minutes so the stabilizer enters the carb then shut it down.

5. Landrus2

That is if it’s rubber.:waving:

6. Restrorob

Well Joe, I happen to know the one in question IS and most of today's engines have either a viton tip needle or a viton seat. Some of these viton tip needles can cost $20+.

Class is dismissed....:waving:

7. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I will be taking apart the carb to clean it out.

Adding to the storage debate.
    Every year before putting the Blower away I change the oil and drain the gas using the drain on the bottom of the bowl. I do not put oil in the cylinder though. This is one of the two methods discussed in the owner’s manual but a stabilizer is the first choice.

I do this to both the snow blower and tiller since they are in storage so long. All the rest of my equipment I do nothing with the fuel. I put the machines away with about a quarter of a tank and in the spring top it off with fresh gas. I know this is against what everyone says but it has been working well for me. They are only out of service for about 4 months and have not had a problem yet. I tried Stabil years ago in one of my mowers and the following season it would not start so I never used it again. Maybe I should give it another try. Most manufacturers seem to think it works.

I guess this storage debate will go on until we can’t afford gas any more.

8. Landrus2

I do respect your opinion. I’m only specifying what is out there these day's. don’t get me wrong. I don’t know how familiar you are with mower racing.:waving: