1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 18/20hp vs Kawasaki 19 hp

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gwfrangia, Apr 1, 2004.

1. gwfrangia

gwfrangia LawnSite Member

I am debating ztr's which use these engines for a 52" deck. Which would you choose, and why?

Thanks for your input.
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would recommend nothing smaler than a 23HP.
  3. markjenna

markjenna LawnSite Member

I know it probably doesn't matter but the honda sure is quit.
    I have a honda 20/52 fastrak.

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

Since you are posing this question on a Hustler site, may I presume you are talking about the FasTrak with the 18/20hp Honda vs. the Mini with the 19hp Kaw?

The Honda GXV610/620 engines are not presently available for use with remote air filters; the Kaw is. The 24hp Honda GXV670, which is also available on the Mini Z, is the only Honda certified for use with remote filters. If you check the specs, you will notice that the 19, 23 and 25hp Kaws all have the same displacement (41.2 cid). If you are a firm believer in the dominant American philosophy of the 20th century, i.e. "There is NO substitute for cubic inches," you will also make note that the 19 Kaw has more cubes than the 24 Honda (40.9 cid). Its max torque of 37.0 ft lbs is .5 ft lbs less than the Honda and is actually developed 100 rpms lower than the Honda. The 18 and 20hp Hondas are both 37.5 cid engines with 31.7 ft lbs and 32.5 ft lbs of torque respectively.

Both Hondas are well suited for use on the FasTrak, but, as a Honda Power Products dealer, I have to admit that I am greatly impressed by the 19 Kaw. The Honda engines are noticeably quieter, but any real choice between the smaller Hondas and the 19hp Kaw would have to be tied in the end to a decision between the FasTrak and the more expensive Mini Z.