Honda 18 h.p. VTwin running on 1 cylinder

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by btcva19, Dec 14, 2005.

1. btcva19

btcva19 LawnSite Member

Last summer my fastrak took awhile to warm up or so I thought. I mowed the yard last night when it was a little cool out and the engine never would get up to speed. I finally shut it off and was going to make sure it was firing on both cylinders, but when I put my hand on the cylinder closest to the seat it was cold to the touch. I pulled that plug and it looked fine except it was a little wet. I dried off the sparkplug, reinstalled it and both cylinders ran fine. I guess I have been running on 1 cylinder until it at startup for awhile. Anybody have any similar experience?

2. Diamondjim

Diamondjim LawnSite Member

Most likely you had a fouled plug. I had a 15 hp Kawasaki (liquid cooled) that would foul a plug on a regular basis. I bet if you put in new plugs that problem will go away. JB

3. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

Our 12 years of experience with both -K0 and -K1 versions of Honda's vee-twins have shown them to be notoriously cold blooded. It may be due to the large head castings behaving like heat sinks combined with Honda's lean carburetion. While the mere threat of choking starts many Kohlers and Kawasakis need choke application only until the engine fires, most Hondas go into instant withdrawal if you take the choke off too quickly. The keys here are to not load it too early or choke it too late. Before you put a load on it, give your Honda time to warm up while gradually backing off the choke just enough to keep the engine running smoothly, and you should solve the fouled plug problem.

4. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Is there anything else you can do when starting a Honda in colder conditions other than run with the choke on for a while? Is it normal after 5-10 minutes of rum time to still surge when taking the choke off?

I notice this on the 24hp. the 16,18,or 20hp v twins seem to behave fine.

Even though "it's a Honda", customers are apprehensive to purchase when they see this.

Am I doing something wrong?

5. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Am I doing something wrong?

I seem to have trouble getting the 24hp V-twin Honda to stop surging even after runing for 5-10 minutes in colder climates. Running with the choke on for a while doesn't seem like the best answer and customers don't enjoy seeing this. Especially from a Honda.

6. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

With the engine warm and running, use your finger to stop the governor arm movement. Many times, this alone will cause the hunting to stop. If it does (but even if it doesn't), try disconnecting the governor spring and rehooking it to the next hole in the arm. The object is to increase the tension slightly, thereby stopping what appears to be governor bounce caused by underdamped oscillation.

You might also try changing main jets. As installed, the main should be a 95. Try replacing it with a 98 (pn 99101-ZH8-0980) which is the next richer jet. This is already an option on some GXV670 types (some go as high as 101) so it's not like you're completely blowing off the EPA by doing this.

7. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

My suggestions regarding governor springs and jet change apply ONLY to Honda's GXV670 24 hp engine which was the subject of "blackandgold's" previous post. I just noticed that this thread's original subject was Honda's 18/20 hp GXV610/620 engines used on the FasTrak and apologize for any confusion.