Honda 21" bagging question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ky-lawn-guy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I have had a couple of the honda 21" residential mowers (1 with a steel deck and one with the Xenoy deck). I love the mowers and they are great for no more than i use them but they just dont bag as well as some of the JD 21" mowers I have had. When i mow taller thicker grass they leave grass that is not sucked up, especially alongside the rear wheel. I am using the Honda bagging blade. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions for helping this problem. I would like to buy another if i can solve this problem.

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

how high are you cutting .............? i have two comm. and two home owners and i don't have problems with any of hem or my exmark 26 ...maybe just different type of grass out there................

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need a high lift blade.

4. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I only have this problem when the grass is extremley high or I am cutting on the 3rd or lower setting which I rarley do. Alll though when I am sucking up leaves some of the leaves blow out the right side of the mower. Will those high lift blades help with this? I have never used those blades before they may help your problem though.:confused:

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I always figured the Honda was just about the best bagger made, and I didn't realize they made more than one design of blades. I guess they do have some type of mulch setup with two blades but that won't help your situation . You must be cutting too much off.

6. deere615

They are a great bagger. I didn't realize they made different blades either? The 2 blade setup is nice it just has trouble mulching in thick grass. Like I said it only doesn't bag when I cut below the fourth setting(very rarely) Besides not sucking up a few leaves its a pretty good bagger!

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When we strip bermuda to the ground we set the unit all the way down as low as it will go to bag. But we go down in increments from about 4 to the lowest setting, cutting as we go down.

8. greenerman

greenerman LawnSite Member

Is your catcher clean? Just like a vacuum cleaner the air going in has to be able to come out. If your bag is clogged, wash it and let it dry so the air and debris can flow easier.

9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, I went back and re-read the post, looks like 1 new Honda (2 blade) and 1 old style. I was referring to the old Honda's (HRC-216 ) The new ones are a pain in the rear for bagging and I don't think a high lift exists for it. Sorry for the confusion on my previous post.

10. deere615

Oh ok thanks like I said I never heard of those blades for my mower.