Honda 21" commercial or Exmark/Toro commericial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Feb 11, 2006.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

After a disastrous experience with the Exmark Metro 26" last year, I' m looking to make the best of a bad situation by trading it in for a 21" model. My two choices are:

a) The newly designed Honda 21" commercial

b)Exmark/Toro 21" commercial.

I already own the 21" suzuki powered toro proline, so I know that unit will do well but if I go that route, is the Kawasaki or Honda engine better?

What are the experiences of people who have the new 2005 version of the Honda 21" unit. Does the machine mulch well?

Thanks

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two Toro 21's one has the 5.5 Suzuki and the other has the 5.5 Kawasaki. We have had great luck with the both, the Kawasaki is 7yrs old and still used daily on the original engine. The new Toro's with the Kawasaki's have a one gallon fuel tank and a 1 hp lager than the Honda's. In my experience running Honda's and Kawasaki's on larger mowers the Kawasaki has more torque.

3. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

We run Honda 21s only for the past 5 years so i cannot compare with other brands.Had the metro 26 on trial for 3 months.Liked it but things were starting to go wrong with it.:realmad:

We have been running the new Hondas for only about 4 months
    In our conditions the Hondas are great with few problems.They mulch well with many types of grass but they do miss some of the harder stems when the grass is seeding.The older Hondas never seemed to for some reason.
    They are heavy probably a few kilos more than previous models.
    Leave a beautiful cut with the 4 blade system.
    Easy to start First time every time!

Problems we have had have had and heard about are

Air filters clogging.They seem to attract dust and grass to their location.We now clean out after every dusty lawn or after every few normal lawns as a precaution.
    Need to blow them clean with a air compressor.

Spark plugs seem not to last quite as long. Not sure just why yet or if its my imagination.:confused:

Where the handle attaches to the deck the bolts always are coming loose.Used loctite on them now so they dont move.

Hope that helps a little.
    Oh yeh the new Honda engines are chinese made so reamins to be seen if they have the longevity of the previous models.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Why would you trade in your Metro 26? Go back to your dealer and get them to install the final revision kit. Durability has been bolstered 16X of the original design. I do not have the part number for the final kit, but I'm sure Brian in the eXmark forum could give it to you.

5. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Honda Hands Down

I own 6 and they are the best Hands down

HRC 215

6. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

:confused: my dealer has a used 26" metro for sale and he said i could have it for $400.00 he told me it did not have any of the recall work done to it and the one he had there had alot of little issues. i read alot of the problems people have with them on here and i am so scared to buy one of them although it would be the perfect small mower to have instead of a 21 inch. i run 2 ztr 61 inch and 50 inch but for the gates that metro would be soo sweet would anyone think it is worth getting. the dealer selling it is not a exmark dealer so i would have to take it to one to get all recall work done.... does anyone else make a 26 inch mower??????????

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No Milo, shy away from the 26" especially that one unless you think it's worth the headache.

As for the original poster, I'll just say I don't like my Toro Commercial.

8. CURBAPPEAL NC

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Why not just spend a little more an and get a quick36
    When i first started i bought a 21" mower because i thought i needed one. it just sat on trailer after i got my 36. Even if i did use it, it was for the occasional ditch or something. I just cant see my self doing a whole backyard with a 21" mower. and for those of you will say you cant get a 36 in gates, well aparently have never used a Quick 36 you can get it anywhere with a little finesse!

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's a good idea in my opinion too.

10. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

yea i have a 36 inch walk behind with only 400 hours on it but it dont fit on my trailer with my 2 ztr's and i cannot go any bigger than a 14 foot trailer cause of my parking set up at my house so i am screwed. yes i think i am not even gonna mess with that 26 inch exmark. maybe in like 3 years they will get it right. the dealer selling it is the best in my area and he told me he just took it from a long time customer on a trade and he just wants to get what he gave the guy for it. i will pass on that deal..