Honda 21" commercial vs Toro 21" commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 13, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to get everyone's opinions on the Honda 21" commercial with the hydrostatic drive vs Toro's 21" commercial. How do the two compare? If possible, does anyone know what the top speed of the Honda hydro is? There literature seems to suggest a top speed of 4.1 mph or 6.6 km/h? But my dealer says he can increase the speed beyond that figure because of the hydro drive. Who is right?

2. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

I have the Honda. It is great. I like the steel wheels, they hold up much better. I paid over $1000. for it.
    I have never had the Toro so I can't compare that with this. What ever you get, get one with steel wheels. They will take the work and not brake.

Allyn

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not to upset anyone who has either of these machines but do you really need this?

I don't know how many small areas you mow in a rotation but for that type of money you should consider a midsize wb. Honda and Toro make good machines but I would really have to have alot of small areas to justify that expense. My 2cents only.

4. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

I have one of each, so I feel like I can make a good comment on this subject. Both mowers are very good. When given a choice, I pick the Toro every time. It has a better looking cut, period. That is the name of the game in this business. The only advantages that the Honda has, is that the bag is easier to empty, and it discharges a little better. The Toro mulches much better, and as I stated before, gives a better looking cut. BTW, the Honda is plenty fast enough as is, if you are trying to give a smooth finished look.

5. accentlc

accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Have run both and I say deffinately toro! The drive control on the Honda is all of nothing. The Toro is variable speed as you squeeze the handle.

6. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

With the Honda you will appreciate the larger discharge opening if you bag, especially when the grass is wet. I had a lawn boy before the Honda with the smaller discharge opening and if the grass was slightly damp it clogged. Also, if the transmission goes out like mine did a few months ago and the part is on back
    order,the xenoy deck will make it easier on you to mow.

7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to ask the same question regarding actually using a 21" enough to support such high price tags. My Honda 21" is about 8 years old and is going strong, but with a 52 ZHP, a 34" Rider, I am now looking into a pro-line 32 for the smaller areas. It is more efficient p/hr.

8. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I think some of these replies missed the point of the question. There are times when you HAVE to use a 21. Obviously you use the larger, faster, better cutting mowers when you can.
    Anyhow, The honda hydrostatic does have infinite speed control and it works excellent. It also bags very well wet and dry and will last a very long time, even if you use it as your main mower. The toro just doesn't compare, for any price. Yes you can turn up the hydro speed as well. The engine comes at a rather low rpm setting from the factory, so that can be turned up. You can also adjust the drive control cable quite a bit which will increase top speed.

9. accentlc

accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Gary-

Is that 34" rider an Encore? What did it cost? Had any problems?