1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 21 HRC clutch bar issues?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howard Roark, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I went to test out a 21" Honda HRC hydro today, mostly because I was interested in the increased cutting height over the prolines. It ran quiet, was fairly quick and smooth, but I just couldn't get past their design for the bbc and drive. To let off the drive and make turns (at a reasonable pace) you need a hand like Andre the Giant. We service alot of small lawns, particularly in the front that require a great deal of turning and backing up. I'm curious as to anyone on here who uses these as their main mowers, how do the crews like them? Or are they suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have one Honda and it is a great bagger but not a good trim mower and nice on hills since both wheels drive. But it isn't good for getting around trees etc. We use commericial 21" snappers for jumping onto small curb areas and backyards with small gates.
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 6 of the HRC216s . We put on about 25 hours each week on 3 of them. No complaints from anyone. Once you get used to operating them ( a day or two) you wont think twice about it. We use them in really small areas of apartments with plenty of trees to go around to larger wide open areas and hills. The new models really out perform last years model, the double blade setup really works.
  4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2 of these in the fleet (the newest model and one that is two years old) and have no complaints. I use the new one regularly but don't tell anyone I'm a Superhero. :)

They bag like no ones business and cut nice at a fast pace.
  5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

just like any mower you need to get used to it! After time I think you will like them better than the Toro!
  6. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Ditto, it should only take one lawn for the coordinated or a day for the average rock headed employee to be able to operate efficiently. We have had no problems with the honda's, six years.
  7. Howard Roark

from Texas

Oh man you guys are going to send me back to the dealer for a second look!

Well how about mulching?? I did do a search and from what I did read this year's model mulched very well. I need it to make pixie dust out of St. Augustine. :cool2:
  8. Howard Roark

from Texas

I should have added.....

What do you guys pay for that air filter assembly? And can you get it online anywhere? I heard it was almost $20.
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The new Hondas mulch 100% better than the old models, but they still wont mulch up tall or thick lawns at speed. But I havent seen a mower that will. So we just bag everything with the small mowers, its faster.
    The air filters are available through many catalog companies for about 7 or 8 bucks.
  10. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

My guys hate them but I keep telling them to get use to them. I have tried everything and they are built 10 times better then the competitor's and have the nicest cut!