1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 21" hydrostatic drive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, Apr 10, 2002.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've found an older gentleman that is selling a two year old Honda HR215 manual pull, hydrostatic drive rear bagger with mulch kit. Used a little over one season approximately 50 hrs. I've used Lawnboys, Toros, and Snappers in the past. I believe this is top of the line Honda. He's asking $625. I'm thinking it might make a good backup mower or maybe if it's too nice I can get the wife to mow the lawn at home with it. What do you guys (and gals) know about this model? Is it a good price?
  2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

well i got the honda hrb216hxa at Home depot for 699 new with bagger and mulch plate
  3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

You need to find out what model it is before pruchasing, whether it is a HRC, whilch is the commercial moddel, Masters is HRB i think and then you have a harmony which is HR something, unless it is a commercial then it is over priced other wise it is a good deal they run around 1000$ new, but as stated in a different post, i i can testify parts are very expensive
    AK Lawn
  4. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

You can go to Home Depot and get a brand new Honda Hydro(Xenoy deck) for $700 with a bag. Honda also offers a 5 year warranty on their Xenoy decks for those of you that a skeptical. Plus the mower is very light.
  5. Here's some retail prices on the net that I found, different models of the Honda 215's. It's not the top of the line, but a mid line model.

Honda HR215 sxa $849.95
    Honda HR215 hxa $949.95
    Honda HR215 hma $1,000.95

If it's the hxa or hma models, I think that's a fair price, but if it's the sxa, offer a $75 less.

Just a warning, if you'll plan on mulching and taking off more than 3/4", plan on making multiple passes. This mower leaves trail along the wheel path that you either have to blow to spread it or run over again. Take the mulching kit (2nd blade and block) get rid of the mulching blade and the regular blade and buy a few gator-mulching blades. I've had excellent results this setup.

Honda's a great machine, but they weigh a ton.