Honda 21 mower wont run

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ashs inc, May 21, 2007.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Ok guys picked this little baby up at a yard sale for 5 bucks. I figured you cant have enough mowers so i got it. I took it home 2nd pull it fired right up. I changed the air filter and spark plug and mowed my lawn. That was about 3 weeks ago. I had it in the back of my shop and decided to pull it out again. Now no fire. whats wrong???? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Honda push mower 002.jpg

Honda push mower 003.jpg

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

By "no fire" do you mean no spark?
    If not, did you check for spark?
    Fuel valve open?

3. ashs inc

from alabama

fuel valve open. i changed spark plug. pulled. nothing. sprayed starting fluid. pulled. nothing pulled spark plug out connected the wire and pulled starter rope. no spark coming from plug??? what to do???? coil?

4. Marty1Mc

Marty1Mc LawnSite Member

Pull the carb off and clean it. I think you can do a quick check by loosening the bolt in the bottom of the bowl. If I leave mine sitting out, that is what I have to do to get it running again. I don't have room to store it inside.

Also, spray a little ether in the carb and see if it fires. That will let you get to the gas/spark part of the question.

5. Bill Kapaun

If you don't have spark, it pretty much leaves it as being the coil, assuming you are getting a good ground to the plug.
    I have an 18+ year old Masters. I mentioned the fuel valve, since it appears opposite of what one would expect for it to be open.
    When I start for the first time after winter storage, I usually have to dribble about 1-2 teaspoons worth of gas in to the carb throat. After that, I'm good for a year.
    Don't use starting fluid. If you need a prime, use a bit of gas. If that's the problem, it'll either start or not on 1-2 pulls.
    Maybe there's a reason it was $5? Coils are kind of spendy, but the mower is still worth it if the other parts are functional.

6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I will give you double what you paid for if you deliver it ;)

My moneys also on the coil :)

7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

No spark? I'd first check the flywheel magnets for rust. If rusty, clean with wire brush. Clean the two little magneto arms with fine sandpaper too, which gets the charge from the flywheel magnets. Check the gap, adjust. Use business card to set gap.

Check for spark.

If still no spark, I'd replace the ignition coil. It's going to cost more than $5. Sorry.

8. ashs inc

from alabama

ok guys took the red plactic cover off heres what it looks like. could this be the problem like mark said. clean the magnets and the little magneto???

Honda push mower 004.jpg

Honda push mower 005.jpg

9. ashs inc

from alabama

any help??? any one? any one? bueler?

10. Bill Kapaun

Definitely clean off the rust!
    As Mark in MD said.

That mower must have been stored in a very damp place!