Honda 21" mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Jun 11, 2003.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have running nothing but John Deere JX85's for years and I'm not going to buy the 75's and spend the money to upgrade them. Are the Honda's good baggers? Tell me what you think about them. Is the hydro model worth it?

2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I've got two Honda Hydro's and I love them. They are great baggers. Honda's are all I have used so I don't know what other mowers are like, but I'm very satisfied with mine. The hyrdo's are great, you can set the speed right where you want it.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We've got 8 of the HRC216HXA (Commercial Hydrostatic) mowers. As far as I am concerned, they are the best thing around. Once you buy one and use it for a week or two you'll see what I mean.

Last year one of our trucks and trailers got in an accident and two of our mowers were out of commission for about 2 weeks. During that time, we rented two John Deer hydrostatic commercial mowers. After ours were fixed / replaced and that crew got their Hondas back they were soooo happy. The John Deers were a decent replacement but not nearly as good as the Hondas. I never saw my crew so happy and relieved before.

I can't say enough good about Hondas. And yes, the Hydro is worth the extra $100 or so. One of our mowers is NOT hydrostat - it's a 2 speed. And it is the one that hardly ever gets used. Nobody likes it compared to the hydros. The hydros are easy to go at varying speeds on the fly. The 2 speeds are just stop and go. Nothing in between. The hydros are sweet. You can just press on the bar a tad and go super slow if you want (e.g. when you turn) and then slowly press the bar in the faster you want to go. This bar acts just like the hydro lever but easier to use. Guys who've been around Hondas a while know what I am talking about. It's a cool feature.

4. HazellLawnCare

so you consider them better than a Toro or Exmark?

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Never used an Exmark. I've never even seen a 21" Exmark in any equipment store around these parts. But Hondas are better than the Toros, JDs, and Snapper top end commercial models. I can say that for sure - from experience.

6. HazellLawnCare

Jim, what all equipment do you have? Could you give me a list of what all you own?

7. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Honda's are excellent bagging and mulching trim mowers..... and yes they are worth the price.

8. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Honda's are horrible mulchers compared to the Toro's.

I dumped all my Honda's a few years ago after realizing I was forced to bag what could easily be muched with a Toro 21" or discharged with a Lawnboy.

9. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Honda's are good mowers if you bag but thats it .Toros are more versatile and do a great job. If youre looking at bagging only maybe Honda is for you but we need a mower for many different applications mulching is really nice.

10. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Use to run Hondas... then Hondas and Toros... Then just Toros...

The Toro belt drives just like a hydro, the toro is the best mulcher, the Toro has a shorter more upright handle which eliminates a step each turn, the Toro can easily be made into a good bagger by removing the kicker plates and installing a high lift blade...

The Honda engine will outlast any other and is a good bagger, but after running them side by side, I found that I was using the Honda less and less...

Both are good machines, but my preference went to the Toro...

Good Luck, Clay