Honda 21" problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BillWil, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

Year old Honda commercial. Cuts fine, bags fine, but the engine will give me a "pop" when I shut it down after cutting. I've done what I can, spartk plug, air cleaner, oil, rpm check, etc. Dealer says, "Dont' worry, hot weather." I don't want my $1200.00 lost because I didn't pay attention. Suggestions?

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

My non commercial pops sometimes when i pull it to slow to start it up. Could be hot weather, but my commercial never does it.

3. VT_Grassman

VT_Grassman LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Are you just shutting it down by closing the throttle right after finishing mowing or do you pull the throttle back and let it idle a minute or two? My .02 is to always let an engine idle a little while after being under load. This gives it time to cool a bit and if you pull it back before disengaging the blades, it is easier on the blade brake(s) too.

The "pop" is caused by some unburned fuel reaching the muffler. This happens when the ignition source (spark plug) is not igniting all of the air/fuel mixture that continues to be sucked into the cylinder just after you pull the control closed.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i think its hot .mine usually does that in the summer.no problems from it yet.thought about calling the dealer but" the roof don't leak when it don't rain"

5. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

Yes. I have been just closing the throttle after mowing. I'll let it idle a bit before shut down, makes since since my Exmark Z needs a couple of minutes if I want to avoid the "pop." Should have thought of that myself, thanks.

6. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Pull your spark plug just after shut Bill wil, is it white-ish(running lean) or tan/brown as it should be?