1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 21" Self-propelled mower with Hydrostatic Drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcanfield, Feb 28, 2006.

1. dcanfield

dcanfield LawnSite Member

I am planning on purchasing this mower. Other then the cost are there any downsides. What, if anything do you not like about this particular mower.

Is there another walk behind commercial 21" mower that is similar to this one that costs less.

2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking into this same mower.
    This Honda is really nice, But I am finding that the John Deere JX75 is more for your money. It has a Kawi engine with pressure lube (oil pump) which is basically the same engine as the full sized walk behinds have. Not Hydro, they have a 5 sp gearbox which is awesome. Price hundreds less than the Honda. They both have BBC's, bearing wheels, etc.
  3. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Hey, I have both of the mowers in question, the honda seems to have a little more power, it is also heavier. It starts first pull, even cold. Now the Deere is also an awesome machine, lighter and mulches muuuch better, But parts are more expensive and take longer to get, Love both of them, my .02, you will like either one, buy the best dealer not always the best mower...........
  4. wallawalla

wallawalla LawnSite Member

What is the price for the honda in Idaho?
  5. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

If your speaking about the commercial unit...I purchased one last year and was not happy...The hydro has a slow ground speed, The mower is very long, and takes a long time to turn around...The double blades suck, (not the cut quality) but the blades are thin and dent easily, Plus having to sharpen 2 blades sucks...Also I didnt like the controls...After years on using the Toro proline, It was very awkward...I returned the mower after 3 weeks and got another proline...
  6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

It is still a heavy brute (for a 21"), I have "heard" that it is lighter than the old 216 commercials but it feels the same to me. The new blades (2) might as well be made out of tinfoil (thin blades, get beat up real quick) compared to the blades on the old 216's. Thats all I got on the complaint side....

I have had mine for a almost a year and if its life expectancy can be patterned on its predecessors, I will have it another 10+ years of worry free operation.

7. dcanfield

dcanfield LawnSite Member

At the Cal Ranch Store in Pocatello they quoted me 1,119.95

Thnaks for all the input. I am surfing around looking for info on the JX75
  8. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

I use Honda 536 QXE ProRoller 21"" single blade,alloy deck, its the top of the range commercial mower over here in UK $2400.

Don't be shocked everything is expensive here. Great cut and stripes, 55kilos is a bit heavy, has hauled me out of some odd places though. Had these for 5-6 years with only one gearbox failure after hitting a brick!
  9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Go for the Honda! Then come on down to SLC and get one for a better price! $1,119 is kinda high.
  10. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I think I paid $1050 on sale...