Honda 21'' wheels are locking up??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have a Honda Harmony II. Model number HRR216. I bought it last year and used it for a backup mower for maybe 15 hours last year. Just this past July i started using it as a regular mower. Now, i've heard that these wheels become very hard to turn when you're pulling back on the mower. Does anyone know why it does this? When you push it forward its fine. Works like its suppose to. But, when i pull it back, its very hard to pull. I took the wheels off, everything is fine. I can actually spin the little gear backwards and its smooth. But once i put the wheel on its back to the same thing. The bolts aren't tight on the wheels, so thats not it.. I've used WD40, still the same thing. Anyone have any solutions?

2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Honda had mega problems with their Harmony II self propelled mowers. The transmission failed a lot.

You might be able to get Honda to cover it under warranty..they know about the problems!

3. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Husky 21" that does the same thing. I've taken the entire wheel apart twice trying to fix it. Check the drive belt. Mine had a very minor cut, mabye a 1/16" cut, and a new one stopped the problem. Now sure about the Honda but if you can loosen up the drive cable - that might help.

4. Gbug

Gbug LawnSite Member

Ive also got a Husqvarna 21" that does that, however I think it is actually a safety feature. I guess it is so that if your going up a hill and slip and fall, the wheels will lock up and it wont roll backwards. For mine, all you have to do is keep rolling forward a little bit(just a couple inches) after you release the drive bar and before you begin to back up. The wheels should then reverse easily. Hope this helps

5. Cuts.ca

Cuts.ca Banned
    from canada

I got same problem with a toro 21". the rear wheels lock when pulled backward at least 4 of 5 times but going forward, with personal pace, its great.

6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

You are absolutely correct on this one.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I don't think its a safety feature because it was fine up until a few weeks ago. It just started doing this about 3 weeks ago. If it was a safety feature i would think that it would have done this from the start

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

yup, same with me, my mid aged honda does it. My new one (still last years model) and the 8 year old one doesnt'

9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Perhaps the cable is out of adjustment and the self-propell is still slightly engaged when you stop... the transmission needs to be at a complete neutral as the wheels roll forward slightly, to dis-engage the drive from the wheels and to allow them to move freely. I should've clarified... I've not had hands-on experience with the honda mowers. I'm speaking from experiences with my Toro and from what I've heard from a local Honda mower owner. I may not be correct in your case.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

thats what i thought...just havn't done anythign to try and fix it!!!