1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 21 won't run

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Red Dwarf, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Checked for compression, seems to have plenty.

Spark is nice and strong/ whitish-blue color

Put in clean gas, and it is getting to the float bowl

Air filter is clean

Cleaned rust from flywheel

Is there some sort of saftey mechanism incorporated into the self-propelled system? The cable that goes to the transmission is frozen. That's the only thing I can find that is out of the ordinary :confused:
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

there is a cut off valve for the gas feed on hondas, check that. make sure you have oil, and the piston is able to move in the cylinder, check exhaust ports for clogs, coat the tip of the spark plug with a little gas
    maybe put a little under the plug, thatll help ignite the gas. try that, hoe it works.
  3. Red Dwarf

Tried all that, even dipping the plug.

I have the carb soaking in some fresh gas right now, maybe that will help clean it out.

BTW, this is a Honda HR214. I think it's probably pretty old, but it's in good shape.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Had an old toro lawn mower that did that. started first or second pull every time untill one day no go. tried every thing. completly rebuilt carb, cleaned fly wheel, checked spark, tried the gas thing, changed oil, compression was 105 so it was still ok, checked the magnito gap thing. well after all done and said still no vrrroom. let it set for a week or so contomplating rebuilding or junking. Father came out and looked at me sweat rolling down my face from yanking the pull cord. Said" try starting fluid?"..... NOPE never thought of it..... don't know why it would work if i had done everything else. Any ways what the ____ tried it and started and ran for half hour or so. from there on out for about 3 more years it started first or second pull. Why? No idea all that I cared is that is worked. Good luck.
  5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Get a welding tip cleaner and take the jets (more than one)outare the little slotted brass peices with a hole in the center and make sure the are cleaned out really well. Then soak the rest of the carb in gas or carb cleaner and make sure that the float is not sticking. So remove the pin that holds the float in and make sure it is
    clean and put it back in carefully. After this and it does not run put a new plug in (gapped correct) and pour a little gas in to bypass the carb. I have been through this all and more to get a stupid $1000 21" to run. Kind of bad huh.
  6. Red Dwarf

I thought of starting fluid, but I didn't have any. I need to go get some.

I'll try the torch cleaner too.

Thanks guys
  7. Red Dwarf

OK, I tried to remove the mainjet to clean it. Apparently, it is pinned in with a one-sided pin that cannot be driven out. Now, how does Honda expect you to replace a damaged jet?

And as far as I can see, there's no hole straight through the jet, so I can't use my tip cleaner???:confused:

Am I going to have to take the carb to the dealership?
  8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

you dont need starting fluid, just squirt some gas down the throat and pull. If it starts and rund a few seconds then you need to clean the carb. Also dont soak it in gas, go buy some carb cleaner with the nozzel and clean it good, shooting in all the holes. Dont worry about the screw on the side, that only turns half a turn. Take out any other screws and shoot carb cleaner in their. If you have an air gun use that after and blow through the holes.
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

that pin does come out