1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 21inch HRX mower is amazing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sam-Ohio, May 23, 2004.

1. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Has anyone tried the new HRX mowers from Honda ? They have the best looking cut I have ever seen from a rotary blade 21 "mower !

The mower deck is made of an injection molded super tough plastic. The deck discharges through a tunnel to the rear [not the side]. There is an adjustable sliding gate in this tunnel that you can close off to mulch, or open wide up to rear bag the grass. The trick thing is that you can partially open the gate, and the mower will mulch maybe 75% of the clippings, and bag 25% of the grass. Now, while the grass is growing sooo fast, a mulcher can't get all the clippings chopped up and hidden down in the lawn, and you have all these trails and wads of grass laying on the lawn. If you bag it all, there is a mountain of grass to haul and dispose of. The Honda HRX will mulch as much grass as can be accepted back into the lawn, and it will only bag the remainder that would have been visible on top. The result is a lawn that appears to have been all bagged, but just a fraction of the total clippings to be hauled away.

The blade system is a "double cut" type with two blades stacked on the shaft, and it mulches the grass down to the size of cole slaw !

If you want to discharge the grass [no mulch,no bag] there is a wide panel chute that drops down over the rear tunnel and rear discharges the clippings the full width of the mower, so there is no thick "windrow" of grass on the lawn even then.

This mower has the Honda Hydrostat drive to the rear wheels, so it is super easy to control , and there is a blade brake clutch , so there is no need to stop the engine and restart it constantly.

If you need a good 21" mower - try out , or demo one of these - you won't believe it till you've tried one !
  2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

We tried the Honda "Harmonys" one season. The model with the plastic deck. We used them along with the commercial HRC216 to mow about a 100 lawns a week. The harmony were shot by the end of the season.
  3. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Honda offers a nice product. I haven't tried the polymer deck but my aluminum deck 19" trim mower circa 1989 with factory 4hp engine is still cutting! Discharges to the rear as the model you described with the bagger option. Horsepower is lagging (due to age / use) so mowing in low gear is the only way to go. I should shoot some pics, I've seen uglier lawn mowers but this one has seen it all. It shows but it still works, not something many brands can stand up to.

My next trim or 'granny lawn' mower will be a 21" Honda.:)
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like honda's version of toro's turbo force deck on the Z master.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that bit of info. I need to check into those. I guess I'm the odd man out. But I'm not happy with my Toro. I've been stewing over getting the Husqvarna with the Honda & BBC, but the one with Crasftman badges and red or charcoal paint to keep things looking nice.

The Honda sounds like another super nice option/choice. What kind of money are we talking here? My Stihl dealer is a Honda dealer and I sure would feel better about doing business with him over a chain store. He is also a Husqvarna dealer. Honestly I was really thinking of buying the Husqvarna and painting over the orange with red like I did with the Stihl just to keep things matched up
  6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have one.....
  7. indmowing

indmowing LawnSite Member

I Want One!

But then Australia doesn't offer such things! :angry:

Sounds like a great mower!
  8. Corvette

Corvette LawnSite Member

Envy the one that rose again makes the rules and if u dont follow them then u are in trouble