Honda 24hp on a ZTR. How are they holding up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Dec 26, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

They have been out a while on ZTR's; just curious any opinions on them? Anyone run them for over a 1000hrs. They seem to be a real smooth engine.
  2. HenryB

Mine has been holding up great. Wondering if it will outlast my Kawy and Kohlers?:confused:
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Looking at a new mower that has the 24hp, dealer said it was a great engine and that they have never had any back in to work on yet. Does anyone have the Honda 24 matched to a 60" deck? Just wandering if it has enouph power for the 60".
  4. HenryB

Mine is on a 60 Super Z. Some people will say underpowered. I really like the combo great on gas,quiet and torquey (is that a word)? Seems to have as much power as my 27 Kohlers. I was hesitant at first because Honda was new to the ZTR motor market; but it's been great. I'm curious how long it will run for. They do make great cars.
  5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had lots of problems with older (late 90s) 20HP honda engines which are essentially the same the the 24HP engines. Search and you will see that I am not alone on that.

The majority of the problems stems from the air filteration design. If your application includes heavy duty air filters then you should be able to eliminate most of the issues.

Honda just seems that they are missing a bit when making these mid power engines. Great small engines (under 13hp) and great motorcycle on up.
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I might be wrong on this, but the hondas are probably a little low on torque compared to the Kholer and Kaw engines. That doesnt mean they wont last. My 20hp lasted for 5 years of everyday use until I screwed up and caught it on fire, It would still probably crank and run If I would replace the melted plastic and electronics. I have it setting in the corner of my shop waiting on me to find a salvage motor to rob parts off of. I never noticed a aircleaner problem, but then I had mine hooked to a waterpump so dust wasnt a big issue. Anyways, I replaced the burnt Honda with a 25hp Kholer because I wanted a little more power. (and because i couldnt find a 25hp honda at the time)