Honda 24HP Pros/Cons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by R&K Ent., Feb 9, 2004.

1. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Would like to here input about the Honda 24Hp on ZTR(don't want to open different subject, so I'll leave it at that). Expected hours, mantinence so forth...

2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy bought the Scag Tiger Cub with the Honda 24. Found out too late it takes a LONG time and much effort to change engine oil due to assinine placement of the drain where there is no room to get hold of the fitting to loosen it. He voiced concern to Scag who said it was being worked on. This years model the same. Basically told him too late, you already bought it, too bad.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Why doesn't he just drain through dipstick tube w/a pump style changer?

I use a suction oil changer on all equipment...faster & less messy.

4. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Wondering How many hours on Scag Tiger Cub? If any other trouble than that?

5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

There are several threads on honda engines, but not many on the 24. however i would assume the 20 and 24 would perform about the same. use the search and ask for the missing info here.

6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16HP Honda with around 900 hours down if you would like a review. I know your intrest is in the 24 but as mentioned above there is little info here reguarding it.

7. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 24hp on e-bay and put it on my Great Dane. I don't have that many hours on it yet, but so far I love it. It is a little louder than I expected.

8. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Do you have any of the oil drain plug placement problems w/ Great dane?

9. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't changed the oil yet so I don't know. But I remember when I put it on I was thinking that it was going to be kind of tough. That could be eleminated by simply drilling a hole in the deck under the plug. I sure wouldn't let the oil plug keep me from buying it.

10. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Yeah i was liking the pump siphon whatever as long as the motor last like i hope it will.