Honda 35cc trimmer review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Valk, Apr 17, 2013.

1. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I took the guard off the first day I got it :dancing: and It works better :laugh:

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I can envision why someone would be hesitant about investing in a true 4-cycle HH with an oil sump as being dependable due to oil-starvation issues. Looks like, and I'm hoping/thinking that this is a non issue with this Honda trimmer (and others like it/Husky/etc).

SO, HERE'S my next question!! Why aren't there more TRUE 4-cycle blowers out there? Other than Dolmar/Mikita...where are they? Blowers, whether BP or HH generally remain upright at all times...whether in use or in transit. Unlike a trimmer, or a hedge-trimmer, a chainsaw, or a pole-saw/etc...........blowers seem like the PERFECT opportunity to utilize a 4-cycle engine with an oil sump. Same with a stickedger!?!

This BIG Honda 35.8cc string trimmer really is a torque~dream thus far. I switched to .095 round string (from .105) and it just GOES. The reserve power isn't really even needed...though I'm pretty sure I'll be tapping into it when I do some brush clearing come mid/late-May. I plan to just use trimmer line and not have to convert to a blade...as it will be grasses and weed-junk that I'll be clearing...not young saplings/etc.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'm not sure about the backpack blowers. i wish honda made one. i'd buy it.

honda trimmer engines have some kind of dual oil lubrication thing. they can be operated in any position and not starve for oil. the timing belt inside has grooves in it that force oil up to the valves as well.

4. Valk

I changed out the oil in the sump yesterday...all 3.4 oz worth. LOL I doubt it even took 2 min. Will run 10w-30 for another oil change or two, then switch to Mobil 1 15w-50 for Summer's heat.

Yes sir, this is not an over-priced piece of equipment. As another poster put it, this thing seems unstoppable! I hope to be impressed for a long time.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Hey, is there anyway you can get some video of you running it? I'd like to see that. They just don't sell many of them around here, and I've never seen anyone use one either. The big one you have interests me.

6. Valk

I lack quite a bit of computer savvy, so prolly not. Sorry. Am quite sure your new FS-250R (2.15hp) would kick this thing, though not by a whole lot. I've not seen a HP rating for it, but am guessing it around 1.7 or 1.8.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I'm not interested in it for that reason. I know what the 250 can do, but for years I ran a 4 cycle Ryobi trimmer. I ran it hard for 10 plus years before switching over to something else. I still have it, but I need to work on it a little. Never had to for the 10 years though. I am just curious about the new wave of 4 strokes that are true commercial grade. No way I can get a demo around here. Like I said, few are even sold here, and the ones that are, are the 25cc version.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

3.4oz of oil? man that's alot!

mine only uses 2.7oz. :laugh:

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That's because he has a big block in his.:laugh:

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i only have small blocks in my mower and trimmer. :eek: