Honda 4- stroke trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nlminc, Feb 19, 2000.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Any thoughts on the new Honda 4-stroke trimmers? I was thinking of buying them this season.<br>Chris

2. snake1040

snake1040 LawnSite Member
    from fl

My dealer showed them to me they seem to have just as much power as a two-stroke engine, very light and quiet. They would last a bit longer than a two-stroke and honda is a very dependable and long lasting engine. I have yet to purchase one because they don't have a very large selection like hedge trimmers, blowers, etc.<p><br>Exquisite Lawn Services

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

very light?<p>In color or fuel use maybe, not in weight.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I was told they are heavier than the 2 cycle. I've also been told the 2 cycle out lasts the 4 cycle. Which is it? Does anyone know for sure?<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

2 cycle engines run better, longer and cooler at high rpms than a 4 stroke.

6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

2 strokes have more power. They also last<br>longer and are more reliable because 4 <br>strokes have more moving parts.I found my<br>FS106 Stihl was much lighter than the Honda<br>equivalent.Honda makes brilliant mowers,<br>but I'm not so sure about their trimmers.

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

2 stokes are lighter and can rev higher.<p>That is their only advantage.<p>If 2 stroke engines were more reliable, lasted longer, better looking etc., etc. we'd all have 2 strokes in our cars, trucks, mowers, etc.<p>Remember the Detroit Diesel?<p>Remember when ATV's and Outboard boat motors were ALL 2-stroke? <p>Honda's on to something here. I'm not sure the current offering is the ticket, but it's a sign of things to come.<br>

8. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer is correct. Honda's 4 stroke is heavier and their first models were somewhat plagued with problems. I spoke to the Honda rep at a recent trade show and they have their newer (improved) models out there now. The 4 stroke engines on their trimmers can run twice as long as their 2 stroke counterparts on the same amount of fuel. They produce fewer emissions and run quieter which will eventually become the norm with all the baning of noise and two stroke unburned emissions. They say that a two stroke wave runner in the first two hours of operations emits more unburned emissions into the air than a automobile that has been driven a 100,000 miles! Makes you think.

9. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has tried a Husqavarne, do they last a long time? I used one last season and it worked great. But I am hoping it will perform similarily in years to come.<br>

10. Nick

Nick Guest

I own one. Just purchased it and I love it. I just put the brushcutter on it and it's great. Honda does it again.