Honda 4-stroke trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ITRY, Jun 9, 2006.

1. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

Saw the Honda 4-stroke trimmers yesterday. Had never seen them before. Anyone use them? The dealer said that even though it is a 4 cycle you can turn them and flip them just like a 2 stroke. The recoil was easy to pull, a lot easier than the stihl's and redmax (which I have). They weigh about 2-3 lbs. more than a 2 cycle. What do you think?

2. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I ran their biggest commercial model (can't remember the exact model #) a lot when I worked for a landscaper before going out on my own.

The engines are typical Honda quality--excellent and bulletproof! They're quieter and good quality, but they just don't have enough power for what I do.

I don't feel that trimmers need much low-end torque--they need high RPM horsepower for precise work. The Honda 4s just won't wind high enough for my likes.

My Stihl FS250 will cut circles around anything Honda currently makes...in my opinion.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a C4 Shindaiwa split shaft with the hedge trimmer attachment and tiller. The tiller is awesome because of that good old four stroke torque. The hedge trimmer sucks because of that good old four stroke slowness.

4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,, currently use straight shaft 1.5 hp good for all general work. The 1.3 engine is useless no poke . 1.5 will handle small stihl blade. Do not turn them over to much as it does eventually drain oil into the foam air filter. The sump capacity is only small 100ml. Does require constant checking particulaly if used by an employee.More economical on fuel than same 2 stoke equiv. Change clutch and drum ,shaft ,top brg yearly. Grease bottom box every 2-3 mths. Reccomend sthil 120 1.8hp etc or larger for over grown areas of some size. Domestics, small commercial ok. reliable!!!!! tomo

5. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

the shindaiwa 4 stoke turns as much if not more rpm as the 2 stroke model on the split shaft....

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

too heavy!

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

The Honda 4 stroke is perfect for every day residential trimming. I've had mine 4 yrs without any hint of trouble. Smooth, quiet, powerful . . . but heavier than the 2 strokes.