1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 4514 Tractor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tommybishop71, Jun 16, 2008.

1. tommybishop71

tommybishop71 LawnSite Member

I'm working on a Honda 4514 tractor with a GX36K1 engine in it. I have replaced the head gasket once and i asked many honda dealers around for the torque specs on the head bolts i've recieved a few answers. 1. We cannot give you that information. 2. 39 lbs/ft in which the head bolt snapped. 3. Just snug em down. So i turn to you guys to lead me in the right direction. If anyone has the specs for this I would really appriciate it. You have no idea how hard it is to get this information.
  2. tommybishop71

anyone have an idea?
  3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a site that can provide Honda engine repair manuals

I don't see a GX36K1 listed, but if you can find one with the same HP, displacement, and number of cylinders, I imagine the head-bolt torque would be the same. For what it's worth, I believe the torque for most Kawasaki small-engine head bolts is in the range or 17-to-20 ft-lbs (note:not lbs/ft). I'm not surprised if your's snapped at 39.
  4. tommybishop71

thank you very much

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

Tommy, if this is your unit, it may be worth the investment to buy the service manual. Honda uses Helms for the manual distribution. Your manual can be found here.

Good luck.

I don't think that engine is a GX36K1? That's the size of the mini 4 cycles.

P.S. I believe the engine you are working on has 8 x 100MM head bolts?? Larry is very close with 17-20 ft.lbs.
  6. tommybishop71

I'm just trying to help a friend out. This is all third party to me and he is working on it for a family member. There are 1 8x100mm and 5 8x55 head bolts
  7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe you meant GX360K1? That might be close.

Anyway I just looked in the service manual and its 17ftlbs.

Make sure you put the bolts back where they came from since there is 3 different lengths of bolts. 3 of them are 70mm, 1 is 100mm and the other 2 are 55mm.
  8. bobthebuilder99

bobthebuilder99 LawnSite Member

I have a 4518 shop manual. If you don't get an answer, I can look it up for the 4518. Not the same engine, but probably close.
  9. Catdaddytoo

Catdaddytoo LawnSite Member

I need to find the timing belt positions on a 4518. Any body have the settings?
    Thanks in acvance
  10. bobthebuilder99

bobthebuilder99 LawnSite Member

I'll look this up in my 4518 shop manual tomorrow.