1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda 48

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Double D, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

My dealer has a Honda 48" wb fixed deck mower that he is looking to dump at a really good price (around $2500). The unit is new, and I was looking for comments on these mowers. I am a part-timer with 12-15 contracts per week, and currently own a 33" wb and looking to upgrade equipment. Thanks Double D
  2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'd look at what parts and service will cost. There are Toro and Exmark mowers for similar bucks. Anything Honda is good, I'm wondering what the dealer knows and isn't telling you. These machines were more than $3500 when I looked at them a few years back. Check it out.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

is it a hydro or true gear? I had a true gear this spring and sold it. Hard to control. It had a problem with the spindle shaft, it kept throwing the grease fittings out. They had to replace the entire spindle. Problem was, the pulley would not come off. It was bent getting it off. It was in the shop for 3 weeks waiting on the back ordered pulley. Finally Honda told the small engine shop that it would not be in until late November. They had to make one fit to get me running again. Well, the guy I sold it too. It also has a special oil filter. It took 6 weeks to come in from honda.

In short, I will never buy another Honda mid size mower. Good cut, just not good for parts and controlling. Controlling for me was fair. But my help could never get used to it.
  4. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Tru Gear with only 130 hours that I like very well. My only suggestion is find out if your dealer stocks your maintence parts. The dealer here stocks everything that I have needed so far and there service is top notch. The price sound cheap as well.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy an exmark 48" hydro. You will not be sorry. Mine was about $3500.00 2 yrs ago. I bought a used belt/gear drive to use for a backup. What a mistake, should have bought another hydro. Live and learn, I guess.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I replaced mine with an exmark. I loved it well enough that I bought a Lazar hp 52" about 1 month ago.
  7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing that i would rather use would be Ferris or of course a rider.
    I have used many hondas and love them, but i am not real fond of the problems that they are experiencing with the 13hp engine. If you are not familiar email me and i will expaline more.
  8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

well in reply to a few emails that I recieved..

A few years ago honda redesigned the honda 13hp engine.
    Honda has been having problems with the newly designed engine. The Engine block seperates which causes vibration and worsens the condition. This is a design flaw by honda which they promise has been changed. From my personal experience Honda realizes the error and replaces the engine without any trouble. Although there was a brief period this summer that there was a nation wide shortage on 13hp engines. The problem is supposed to be fixed but there is no way of know what engine is on the mower that your dealer has.
    Another thing i find odd is that this summer i wanted to purchase a Honda 48", but my dealer told me that honda cut production for the season. Being the largest honda dealer in the US - my dealer said that he would get me one anyway. After a week of talkign to all the dealers in the nation he told me taht there were not any available. That makes it seem odd that your dealer is selling so cheap now.
    I think i know his cost and it was more than $2500.

I am not sure why production was discontinued but i think honda was just redesigning the line and concentrating on the 52" and 60" line.

well i hope this welps a little and good luck.

PS i have a honda 52" 20hp that i love to death.
  9. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the information --
    Double D