Honda 5.5 won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mobilefleet, Nov 22, 2006.

1. mobilefleet

mobilefleet LawnSite Member
    from atl

Got a 5.5 Honda on my gas powered air compressor that won't start. Yes, I bypassed the low oil switch by pulling the wire out. It has no spark at all. Pulled off the flywheel cover and adjusted the coil gap using the old trick of a business card for the approximate correct gap. Still nothing. How can I check the coil to see if it's bad? I'm assuming use an ohm meter but I don't know the proper specs. I've never actually had Honda problems before because they are great engines. This is a key start engine but can also be pull started. The ignition switch has 4 wires on it but I don't know what goes where. Could the switch be the problem too and what should I check? thanks

2. mobilefleet

mobilefleet LawnSite Member
    from atl

I should say that it won't start whether I use the key or try to pull start it

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Electric start 5.5 compressor? Hmmm, havent ever seen one of those.

Basically as long as you disconnect the kill lead that goes to the coil and that wire is not grounded at all(stripped section touching block), you should have spark. If not then there are 2 possible culprits:

The spark plug cap. You unscrew it from the spark plug wire. Take an ohm meter to it. I forget exactly but probably looking for like 7000-12000 ohms. This usually doesnt go bad.

The next one is the coil itself. Which if the cap is ok, and the spark plug or tester you are using is ok, and the magnet is ok...then you really dont have to test this. You can check it with an ohm meter. One reading should be very low, the other should be again like 7000-15000 or something. But it doesnt matter...I have had plenty of honda coils test GOOD but wont fire.

Now the bad news. Depending on how old the engine is...it could be a very pricey coil. Honda has a couple of coils they use on the 5.5's. I dunno if they are interchangeable or not. Some of them are like 80-90 bucks and some are like 30. Actually I just checked, honda must have dropped the price on the expensive ones. They are only like 56 now.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a spark checker tool at Harbor Freight, it plugs in one end onto the wire and the other onto the spark plug, then it lights up when there is spark.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

You dont wanna do that. You need a checker that hooks to ground. If you have a bad spark plug and you have the tester hooked to it you wont get any spark, but it may just be the plug :)