Honda 5.5

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by martn, May 19, 2004.

1. martn

martn LawnSite Member

My engine has been sitting around since November. I went to start it and nothing. Replaced the plug, and checked other items, everything looks ok. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

drain fuel tank. Shut fuel at carb with lil lever next to choke lever. Drain carb bowl, 10mm screw located in side of fuel bowl. Remove fuel bowl, 10mm screw in bottom of fuel bowl. Clean fuel bowl. reinstall fuel bowl and drain plug. Refill with clean fuel. Drain oil and refill with 30wt oil. Turn fuel back on. Remove and check air cleaner. Reinstall air cleaner or replace. Turn switch to ON and pull. Should start by second pull. If not.. check for spark. No spark?? By pass low oil level switch by disconnecting yellow wire from crank case. Check for spark and fuel. lets us know how it goes and we'll go from there.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

4. SER

SER LawnSite Member

I'd check for spark and compression BEFORE you do all the carb cleaning. Without spark and compression you are wasting your time.
    SER:sleeping:

5. martn

martn LawnSite Member

Xcopterdoc, you were right, changed gas(it was brown) and disconnected oil level line. Started 1st time. Thank you.

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

No prob Martn.. thanks for posting back and letting us know!