Honda 52" Walk behind

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RichardC, Nov 17, 2013.

1. RichardC

RichardC LawnSite Member
    from NH

I was looking into buying a 52" Honda walk behind mower for around $800 or so. Im told that it needs deck work, specifically a spindle replaced, and a belt. I know belts can be costly, but can anyone advise me on the spindle? is this a sort of common wear and tear type thing, or more of a major problem to stay away from? Anything else on a honda walk behind that i should be watching for?

Thanks,

Richard

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Those things can be real hard to get parts for. They haven't been sold in the US for many years.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RichardC

RichardC LawnSite Member
    from NH

That's good to know. I was looking into it, because i have recently added a couple 21" honda's to my arsenal, and really like the way the honda's cut. but, i dont want to buy something that's potentially impossible to fix..

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

yea the honda commercial hydro stat 21" is a main stay in the green industry when it comes to high end 'put put' mowers.
    But the honda walk behinds (48" plus)? those are albatross's... stay away.

5. robert@honda

robert@honda LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

The official model name for the HRC's 52" deck is the CD7052. It has a separate parts catalog from the HRC7018 or HRC7020 power unit, which includes the engine, rear frame, handlebars, etc. These were last mfg in the late 1990s, so even clean examples are pushing 13+ years old.

Anyway, scanning the catalog for just the deck reveals many parts have indeed been discontinued for this model, including the front wheel/tire, the side-discharge chute, and the spindle assy.

-Robert@Honda
    Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

6. MainTainZ Property Svcs.

MainTainZ Property Svcs. LawnSite Member

I bought one of the Honda 52" wb's brand new in the late 90's. At the time, I thought it was a great mower and it served my needs well enough. I had been used to belt drives and it was my first hydro mower so I was tickled. I sold it to my father-in-law about 10 years ago. He started mowing a few yards on the side and he is still using it. He has had a problem with the spindles. He's had to replace the one on the chute side at least 3 times. However, I don't know where he bought the replacement spindles. If you could get the mower cheap enough, it would make a good backup mower or it would be good for a residential homeowner but I wouldn't depend on it for regular commercial use.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device