Honda 5hp Leaking Gas

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by turfinator, Apr 14, 2005.

1. turfinator

turfinator LawnSite Member

I have a Honda horizontal shaft GC160 (http://honda-engines.com/Engines_owners_manuals/ownersmanuals/gc160.htm) that I just put on my tiller and whenever I lean it back a bit gas leaks from the 2 bolts securing the carb to the engine. The bolts are at the back of the engine (facing me) and each travels through the plastic piece that holds the air cleaner, then through the side of the carb and then entering the engine. There is a fair amount of gas that is leaking. I purchased the motor second hand from a dealer near me that assured me it was in perfect working order with only a couple hours on it. Is there anything that I can do to prevent gas from leaking?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Honda carbs are very touchily about things like this. The smallest of angles will cause the float to open and flood the carb and vibration will also so flooding. That is the reason for the fuel shut off being mounting right on the carb. When you put it the the back of your pick to take down the road you had better cut off the fuel or when you get there you will find gas all over the place and even in the crankcase oil as well. Honda engines are good, very good but the carbs will leak if you look at them wrong. You may or may not have a problem to fix.

3. turfinator

The only problem with this is that its on a tiller that it often placed on an angle while in operation.

4. turfinator

Do you think it could be ready for a needle and seat replacement or possibly a good cleaning.

5. turfinator

I took it back and the service guy couldnt figure it out. They ended up giving me a sweet deal on a Briggs I/C 6.5hp instead. They felt the problem was more application and directly related to the size of the bowel (very small) on the Honda and just couldnt be tilted without leaking.