Honda bbc mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by S man, Apr 1, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

A customer of mine gave me a honda hc214 with bbc. It looks like an older gxv120 which it says on the side of the block. What should I do to get it running? It's been sitting since katrina but ran great last summer. Should I use starter fluid and how much oil does it take? I never had a gxv so I don't know a lot about them. I do know they last and run good. What do I need to do to get it running?

2. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Don't use starting fluid, it can eat up the plastic on the intake. Start by makeing sure there's no water in the carb. There should be a 10mm bolt on the side of the bowl to drain the fuel system. It should take just under 20 oz. of oil IIRC, but it's definetly less than a quart. For starting it just pour some fresh gas in the spark plug hole useing a funnel if you need to.

3. S man

Thanks. I checked the gas in the tank and it smelled alright but I'm going to get that out of there.
    When I talked to the owner of it she said that the dealers in the area don't like working on master, commercial type hondas because hd sells the cheap quality hrx with the gcv engine. I see a guy running two honda commercials in my area and I'm going to see where he services his. I'm not good at working on my equipment but I guess I have to learn. Getting this thing running shouldn't be hard.

4. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Shoulden't be hard at all, your right. Honda's are easily the finest motors out there in my opinion. They run forever and a day if cared for, and will even hold up long after everything else is dead if not.

5. S man

There seems like shortage of dealers in La? And are there loads of dealers for honda where you are?
    One I've seen was across the lake in Hammond La.

6. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

I have at least 10 within 15 miles of me, probebly more if I thought about it.

7. S man

Wow.
    Hey what oil weight should I use? I have 5w 30. Or is 10w 30 better?

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

We run HD30W in ALL our Honda powered rental equipment.

9. S man

I got it running today but with engine start ethyl. It doesn't want to stay run ning though. What else can I do?

10. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Pull the bowl off the carb and make sure the floats lot sticking.