1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda brush cutter blade "Do Not SHARPEN" Question.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by norman, Jan 8, 2007.

1. norman

norman LawnSite Member

Bought a Honda Brushcutter. Came with 10" 80T blade. Used 4 hours and dull. The blade says "don't sharpen". Any reason these can't be sharpened? Is HONDA just wanting to promote buying new? I can't afford a $20 blade every 4 hours.

What about carbide tipped blades? Can they be resharpened? The Honda supplied blade worked excellent for the brush I was clearing and the 2"-3" saplings I used it for instead of a chainsaw. Any blade recommendations that last longer or more cost effective? I tried one of those $10 four blade cutters, but it's pretty worthless for what I'm doing.
  2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Not knowing the machine you mention, the only possible reason a blade shouldn't be sharpened would be for the operator to buy a new one.
    This being said, you need to properly sharpen and balance this blade prior to re-installing it.
    I do not like carbide blades. Upon striking an object that is dense the carbide tends to fracture leaving a chipped blade. This results in an unbalanced rotating mass which accelerates the wear to all engine and chassis components affected.
  3. norman

norman LawnSite Member

Model is HHT35SUKAT. It's the OEM blade that has the warning about not sharpening printed on it. I thought maybe they used some kind of metal that would chip or something.

I'm new at this. Trying to clear ATV trails in 3 acres of woods. The 80t blade worked pretty well while sharp. Woods are full of thick thorn bushes with vines that reach about 1" at the base and small saplings up 3". Those are primarily what I am using the brush blade for.

Are all brush cutter blades pretty well equal in terms of quality between brands? Any recommendations for something different besides the 80T type blade? I've been told there is a saw chain type, which would brobably be great on the saplings, but not sure about the smaller stuff.
  4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i use stihl 85's with chainsaw heads to clear fields of brush and small sapplings when they are put into production for pinestraw. you have the ability to sharpen them, they cut better and most importantly, they are much less prone to kickback than a saw blade type of cutter head.