Honda centrifugal clutch problem, need help....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Greyst1, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, got a weird one here.

I have a Honda GX160 with a 2:1 gear reduction wet clutch on my Bluebird BedBug Bed Edger and i noticed that when i engaged the clutch i see oil coming out of the fill cap (pin hole in the cap). Is it possible that this fill cap is from another machine or something? Never seen a pin hole in a filler cap and i'm wondering if this is right. I bought this machine used and just noticed it.

Anybody know anything about these gear reductions i would greatly appreciate it.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Check your manual for the edger for oil level recommended. Just a stab in the dark but I'd guess it's over filled and expansion is causing the leak.

3. Greyst1

I will, i saw on Honda's website that there should be a oil dip stick gauge threaded in the filler cap. Sort of an assembly, i know that mine doesn't have the dipstick gauge. There would be no reason for a hole in the filler cap, at the moment it looks like i'm just missing the gauge.

Anyone else have a hole in the filler cap?

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe the stick broke off also explaining the hole.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

After taking a look at the Honda clutch/reduction system, it appears as though the dipstick is a two piece unit. It would appear that the dipstick itself is threaded into the cap thereby permitting venting. Check the inside of the cap to check for threads--if it is, the dipstick portion may have dropped to the bottom of the unit. Just a thought--your mileage may vary.

6. Greyst1

Well i figured this one out....

1st the fill cap was in deed missing the gauge however upon receipt of my new cap gauge assembly i noticed there is a breather in it. Weird, i know but it's meant to be there.

The reason why the oil was coming out of the top of the cap was the incompetent mechanic at:

Barry Doyle
    Eddie Doyle
    SE Equipment Plus
    Actworth, Georgia

Over filled the damn reduction gear case and with the wrong oil. Filled almost to the top WTF, i sure wish these jerkoff's take a minute and pay attention to what their doing. Until i read through Honda's manual i didn't realized it took 10W-30 and only .5 litre of it. Had to be at least 1 - 1.25 litre's in it. I can see a little head but geez 2.5 times..... Idiots!

I've posted in an another thread about this company, please guys they sell online via eBay store ***BUYER BEWARE***, rude, incompetent, arrogant, and just plain lazy!!!!!

Oh well, for now problem fixed at my expense of course.