Honda Commercial 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 30, 2004.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

A local dealer has a Honda Commercial 21" mower for sale at a good price. I tried it out and found it to be slow in comparison to my two cycle Suzuki Toro proline and much more bulkier. The hydro transmission makes the mower work the same as the toro transmission does. Is there a way to speed this unit up? How does it function in comparison to the other models?

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Right under the control lever adjust the cable that runs to the hydro pump, you can turn it faster than you want to mow.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Yep - they set them too slow but very easier to speed it up.

4. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a HONDA COMMERCIAL 216..

Could'nt be happier!!

5. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 LawnSite Member

They are great mowers have used them for at least 5 years now. They always run good never had any major problems at all.
    They cut wet grass well and bag very good also. Like was posted before just make the ajustment under the control and you will have to run to keep up.

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You got That Right Joe....Wait until you spend a Day Turning & Pulling that Monster Backwards on Small Lots....You'll be Wishing you had your Suzuki/Proline !

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Maybe so Fareway, I love the Suzuki Proline but on a rainy day I'll take the Honda with a lift kit.

By the way the ground speed on that Honda if you set the R's up to 3600 and adjust the cable out is a slow run.

8. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Toro Proline and I'm not that impressed. I wish Deere still made their JX85's they were hard to beat. I think I'm going to try and get my Deere dealer to pick up Honda, they've got to be better than the Toro.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I so agree. JD had stupid, simply little problems with the JX85 and rather than address them, they decided to stop production.

There HAS to to a market for a commercial 21 that performs as well as the JX85 did but doesn't way a ton like the HRC216.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If the mower is too slow then you need to adjust the govener up to about 3500 to 3600 rpm. If you try to over speed the hydro trans by adjusting the cable out of factory specs you will burn up the hydro pump in the trans. With the trans set at normal and engine rpm at 3500 it will go at 5MPH. And thats a pretty quick push mower.