Honda Commercial Hydrostatic

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Jun 13, 2006.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I bought the Honda HXA hydrostatic mower this spring to replace one of my Deere's. I'm having trouble decideing what height to cut. If I set it on the
    5th notch (4 empty slots on wheel bracket), it is about 3.5 inches ( we were cutting at 3"). If I lower it one notch (on the 4th, 3 empty slots) it cuts at about 2.75" which a little too short. I've been leaving the grass a little longer so it doesnt' stress in the heat of the summer but some of my customers want it shorter. When I cut it shorter, they say it is too short!!!

Any one else running these mowers and having similar problems? I really like running the mower but I think my JS63's (yes I know their a homeowner model but they cut really nice!!) had a better height setting.

2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know some people will think this is odd, but I had a few of the same type of customers and what I did that works (for me anyway) is run the front on
    the 4th notch from the top (2.5" cut) and the back on 3. (which is 3.0") Like I said it worked for me and nobody complained. It left a slightly lower cut without scalping. Like you, we run mostly a 3.0" cut so it keeps it green through most of the summer.

3. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

The hxa is not a commercial unit either. Use the HRC and the difference will be clear.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have a honda and know exactly what you are talking about.try leaving the back wheels all the wAY UP and set the front wheels down one notch from the top

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

HRX series, is not a true commercial mower,what it is, is a dang good high end homeowner model.

high to low height setting

4 inch's
    3 1/2
    2 1/2
    1 1/4
    3/4

6. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Cant you put it between the "slots"?? Thats where you should get your 1/2" increments.

7. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the 1/2 slot idea. I know I have the commercial mower/black bag w/commercial written on it. I must have screwed up the model number (they're so easy to rember on the Hondas!