Honda Commercial Mower 21inch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky05, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I really needed new 21 inch mowers they ones I had were old 2 cycle lawnboy's and they have lasted me almost 3 years now. Now that the season is ending.

Yesterday I just happened to pass this local dealer that was on my route for mowing and I just went in to see what they had for sale, they are a Honda and Gravely dealer. And they sell a few other items, but they just apparently got a shipment in of mowers from another dealership that went out of business and they had two brand new Honda HRC216HXA mowers there. They retail here for $1,250.00 a piece. One was listed for $796.00 and the other was listed at $996.00. I have never used or bought a Honda mower before but I have read alot of information on here about them and just looking at this machine it looks like it will last a long time.

Shaft driven engine, rear wheel drive, blade clutch, double blades, steel deck, ball bearing wheels. I didnt want to spend that kind of money but I couldnt pass this up. With tax I got both brand new mowers and 1 year warentee for $1,917.44 I think that is a really great deal.

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good deal..were they both the redesigned 2005 or later models? Have your're dealer to up the RPM'S, 3600 with the blades spinning.Good mower's and best bagging 21-inch bar none, and with the new micro-cut blade and redesigned deck, just a hair behind Toro in mulching abilty.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Dont up it to 3,600 RPM, all you will get is less engine life. Between 3,200 and 3,300 is plenty.

4. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

They are new models. The way the woman explained it to me was she bids on a bunch of equipment, it depends how many people bid on them and how far the location is. That is why the one was 200 dollars more, but Iam still excited to use them. Im going to try them out today.

5. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

yep, I have a local dealer with the comercial honda for a price of 995 + tax. There are a lot of posts honda vs Toro. I have read a lot of the posts which confused me more. Both appear to be good. If I can ask, at what foot speed does your Honda operate? Is it fast enough? thanks, spin

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed. Honda has them speced to run around 3150 probably. I would have to check the spec for a particular model but most honda mowers are in the 3000-3200 range. And that is NO LOAD top speed so blades disengaged.

7. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

I think you'll love your new machines. I have an 2004 and love it but plan on getting one of the re-designed one next season.
    Question for everyone: where can I download a PDF manual for a honda commercial mower. Their website has the paper ones available for sale but it seems like I should be able to find it online.
    Thanks

8. saw man

from utah

9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I politely disagree, with wet conditions the micro cut does not bag as efficiently as the older models and you need the slightly higher rpms to help it bag better. The Honda generators use the same engine and a 3600 rpm straight from the dealers.

10. saw man

from utah

And which generator might that be? Be careful on your answer because Honda has only one unit that uses a 160cc motor and it is not a vertical shaft like the mower.

You can pump up the RPM if you want but you WILL get less life out of your engine. Most people dont mow in wet conditions everyday so bumping it up is not as benificial.