1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

honda commercial slow and heavy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkirby, Jan 28, 2005.

1. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

They claim the Xenoy deck is so tough you can drive a car over it, then why isn't it on the commercial instead of that outragously heavy steal deck?
    My competition went with the lower class model b/c of the Xenoy deck but he is not happy with the rest of the mower not being as solid as his commercial one. The dealer told me guys have had the lighter deck for years of heavy use and had no problems (What The Hell are the waiting for - get rid of the steal decks)
    I put my JD75 beside the honda commercial and the jd75 was 30% faster!

I want to get out of JD but that is way to slow for my boys!
    Is there any way to speed up this Hydrostaic system?
    Thanks Mike
  2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The new HRC is out in the Spring...It's Faster.
  3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope so, I'm purchasing a new Honda mower myself!
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The Xenoy deck can still crack. Ive seen it. Besides the rest of the components will not handle the abuse. Wheels, height adjusters, hydor drive is different, etc.

Check your engine RPM, sometimes coming from the factory they are set a little low. That will speed it up a little, also check cable adjustment. Set your RPM at 3200.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Check the cable adjustment at the lever. I guarantee it is not at max. I adjusted mine after the first year was over and boy do I wish I had done it sooner. I probably gained another .5 mile an hour. Now I almost have to jog.
  6. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

How about the Toro or Exmark, not as tough but does a great job and a lot easier to manuver, only need one hand to mow even with the bbc. I switched about 10 years ago and never went back.
  7. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

i read that - you think .3 will make a difference?
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Adjusting the drive cable past the factory setting will not make it go any faster, it will only make it so it doesnt have a slow speed anymore. The best way to get more travel speed with a Honda HRC216 hydro is to speed up the engine. Most come from the factory set at 3100 rpm or less. Adjust the rpm to about 3500 and it will really move then. They also will have better power and bag even better.