Honda Commercial Walkbehinds????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Sharks, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Honda Commercial Walkbehind (Model HRC 7013ZXA) 48" with Hydrostatic for $600. Needs a little work but nothing I can't do over the winter by myself. It has 619 hours on it.

My local dealer is Toro,Exmark and Scag and says he doesn't know much about these mowers as there are none working in the area although he can easily get parts for it if I buy it.

My question is:

Has anyone used one of these or someone that does and if so what are your impressions of it. Good mower? Bad mower? Good cut? Bad cut?

Please let me know as soon as possible as I am not sure this will last long.

Cheers,
    Keth

:blob1:

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Do a search. You'll find your answer I'm sure. Only way I would buy it is if I could turn right around and sell it for more $. I wouldn't use one.

3. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

i had the gear drive and it sucked. the cut was ok but the controls were wierd. I did notice that the hydo had real low controls. I do NOT like the larger honda motors and trying to get parts for them is crazy. Almost every one has to come from God knows where. Cost for maint is high due to having to pay for the Honda name on the parts.

My opionion is to WALK away. Go find a good used Exmark Turf Tracer or Belt drive Metro. Make sure you have a Good dealer in your area for the mower you are going to buy. Dealer support will make almost any mower better.

Scot

4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I asked the same question last month and g-man was the first one to answer with the same reply! De-ja-vu. If its only $600 I would buy it, it will pay for itself in two weeks. I love Honda but everyone said don't buy there commercial wb. I would say exmark I got to demo one because GREENMAN wouldn't let me try his out haha! Anyway, $600? Buy it tonight!

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Brandon- you can demo my Exmark anytime. You just have to answer your cell phone:D

<-------
    Oh yeah, dont get too close to my little dude, he might get your shirt dirty.

6. Lawn Sharks

Greenman,
    Why wouldn't you use one? Have you had a bad experience with it or have heard bad things about the Honda Walkbehinds? Curious where you get your opinion from as it would be most helpful to know.

Cheers,
    Keth

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

No, I have not personally owned or used one, because I asked around and was told that they were not all that good. I have also heard that the larger Honda engines aren't that good, either. As far as the smaller engines, I have a 5.5 hp that on a 21". Its been through abuse.Its 3 years old and the engine has never given me any trouble.

Scotlawncare said that he had one, and I know that there are a couple of others that have owned one.

8. Lawn Sharks

Greenman,
    Thanks for the info. It is valuable. I hope to hear from some people, other than Scot, who have had their hands on one of these machines so I can make an informed decision. So far the input from the forum is leaning towards not buying it. We shall see!

Cheers,
    Keth

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I bought this one new and then sold it to Scot with less than 80 hours on it. It had a few issues that needed to be fixed at that point. It took the dealer forever to find the correct parts and get them in. Honda's support on the larger units completely sucked. The dealer I got it from is great. They are a registered honda dealer and service center. They had the worst time getting anybody at honda that knew anything about these units. Scot cuts part-time and over the next year the mower was down more than it was up. Finding the parts and getting them was extremely stressful. Not to mention expensive. The motor makes decent power it just has a lot of little things that can and will go wrong. So, $600 wouldn't make me buy it. Its not worth sinking your money into. Plus, parts in the future will be even worse to get. Honda doesn't want to play in the comm'l midsize mower market anymore.

10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

i have never used any of their comm. wbs before, only their 21" stuff. the 21s are great. the only dealer in my area that i know of was Reeds in Little rock and they do not carry any of their larger stuff only the 21s