honda conversion

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rbig, Dec 18, 2004.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Anyone know how satisfactory the Small Engines Warehouse conversion kits are to go from a Kohler 20hp twin to the Honda 20hp twin? I may be repowering soon, and I have a Kohler K-532. Small Engines has an Onan conversion kit they show as a GX620-JD400F. Just wondering if these are a smooth conversion, or if there are known problems.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If it was me, i'd repower it with another Kohler. I have heard of some problems with those larger twin cylinder Hondas. One being some electrical problems and the Onan engines are about extinct. They were used quite a bit about 20 years ago on lawn and garden tractors but no one uses them anymore.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the engine in? Sounds like you're working on a JD 400 or 420. The Onans were replaced with Linamars I believe, they're both owned by Cummins.

4. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

It's in a JD 400. And, I screwed up and said Onan when I meant to say Honda. No Onan involved in this question.

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just don't feel like rebuilding the Kohler? I've seen a 400 with the Honda repower and its a sharp tractor. The guy that did it did the conversion over a week of nights and a weekend. Not bad for a "big block" garden tractor engine.