honda engine cutting out

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rixtag, Aug 4, 2006.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

My (old) 36" viking with a GXV340 Honda engine has started to do a strange thing lately. It cuts great, runs great while cutting, starts fine and all that. Except. When the engine is running with no load, like when I shut off the blades to empty the catcher, it acts like it is going to die, it cuts out and stalls. It never actually stops completely, but it acts like the spark is being shut off randomly. Only when running without a load. Has new fuel filter and spark plug. Any Ideas?

2. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

New development: it is now running poorly all the time, it acts like it's being ********, the spark is beeing cut back or the fuel is loading up and it's running very rich. Anyone?

3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I would be trying this question on the mechanic and repair forum, does not look like any body at Ex-mark will help its been a week.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The Service Dept. is looking at your cut out issue. We will give you a few suggestions for trouble shooting your engine. You can give the Service Dept. a call @ 402-223-6375.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello,

I don’t think that we ever used a Honda on the Viking, so unfortunately I’m not very familiar with that engine at all.

The only thing I could think of with the engine is that I believe the Honda’s have solid lifters, so depending on the hours that are on the engine, the valve lash may need checked.

Other than that, you might look at air intake, coils, carb-float, etc. Again, I’m just not real familiar with the intermediate Honda Engines, so I’m just trying to give some generalities that I’d have you check on other engines I’m more familiar with.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lenny

6. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

Intake valve waaayyy out of spec. Adjusted to spec and it runs like a champ!!
    Thanks for your help!!