1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda engine problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grasstamer, May 6, 2008.

1. Grasstamer

Grasstamer LawnSite Member

I have a honda 5.5 HP engine on my pushmower, it runs about 3 mins. then starts missing out, backfires through the carberator, then dies. I have checked: the gas cap for vaccume, fresh gas, new plug, cleaned carb, I hooked up a spark tester to it, and started the mower, and watched the light on the tester, it never went off at all, even when it started missing out, it was still on, then it backfired through the carb, and died. Could it be a valve sticking, after it warms up, making it backfire through the carb?? because it still has spark after it dies, but it wont start back until it cools off a few minutes later. If it's not a sticking valve, then I'm about out of ideas, any help would be appreciated!!!!!
  2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Which engine?
    A mostly restricted fuel filter could cause that.
    IF the carb has the drain plug, see if gas will flow a steady stream for 5-7 seconds when removed.
  3. Wrencher

Wrencher LawnSite Member
    from s.e pa.

check for good fuel flow @ carb like stated above, if ok pull bowl ,and check for dirt or varnish, if so you need to pull carb and completely tear down and clean or replace it
  4. Grasstamer

Grasstamer LawnSite Member

Well I give up I guess, I've tried EVERYTHING I know, and tried everybodys tips and pointers, and this engine has about whipped me, I just dont understand, It has good spark, (even after it dies) It's got good fuel flow, I even adjusted the valves, they were fine also, the thing that baffles me is, it runs great for about 3 mins, then starts running rough, backfires once through the muffler, then once through the carb and then dies. It's still got spark, and still getting fuel, but wont start back for a couple of mins. I really hate to take this to a mower shop, I've always figured out my own problems, but I think this ones got me. I do appreciate everybodys input though!! Thanks again guys!!! someone asked the other day what engine it is , it's a MTD PRO SERIES 5.5 HP HONDA. Thanks.

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

Is there a fuel valve ? I just had a similar problem
  6. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

How old is this engine Grasstamer?
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

how about a stuck choke...