1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Honda Engine Question:

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 11, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

We've got one crew leader who insists on playing with the carb to get higher RPM's and thus faster self propulsion.

We have always changed the oil religiously, and air filters are changed daily (the black outer foam elements).

Does running the engine faster than intended cause pre-mature engine failure a little bit faster than normal or a lot faster than normal?

Had one Honda engine come in today with a muffler that is turning red. First Honda engine failure we've ever had.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. mowpart rep3

mowpart rep3 LawnSite Member

i think raising rpms will have a negative effect on the engine most manufactures set rpms on engines so they perform at their max
  3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Yes, higher RPM will cause premature engine failure.

Find out what the RPM they are running at, I wouldnt run over 3400 RPM on those, anything faster is too harmful and not worth the extra problems.
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I would suggest giving that crew leader all regular push mowers to use instead of self propelled units if he wishes to move the mower faster than what the factory sets it up for.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If the raise in the RPM setting well above the rated setting, yes it can cause pre-mature ware. Tach the engine out, and make sure the RPM'S are at 3600,blades spinning.
  6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Um, no. If this is a Honda Mower usually the Honda spec is 3000-3200 depending on the model.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OOOOK, Read the third thread down from the top in this forum and then post your engine model and spec. numbers....
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The commercial 5.5 vertical shaft is rated at 3600, I have set 5.5 Honda's at that rate for years and years. The consumer , light commercial, overhead cam is rated at 3200 to 3400.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

3600 rpms no load. If he is playing with it and the muffler is turning red then ... it is probably around 4k rpms. Not good at all. If he wants to play with carbs tell him to go work at a speed shop.
  10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

He took a spare yesterday morning and when he checked in this evening, sure enough. The damn thing was running as fast as it possible could.

I'm convinced the sonovabitch is burning up my engines and he's also running through these lawns so fast there's no way they can look very nice when he's done.

I think this crew leader does not get invited back next spring. I will buy a tool at NAPA today to test the RPM's and tell him if I catch him running these things too fast again, it'll be a $150 fine on his next pay check. This problem is strictly a function of him not caring about how long my equipment lasts.

DFW Area Landscaper