Honda engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffie, Jul 16, 2000.

1. jeffie

jeffie LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

I have a 97 model 13 H.P Honda with approx. 200 hrs on it. Two weeks ago my air filter cover, filter,and everything plastic including the linkage holders on the carburator melted. My dealer said a head bolt had backed out and exhaust gas escaped and done the damage. The Honda Rep. said the warranty had expired (1 year) and I was responsible. I realize the warranty is gone, but is this something common with Honda engines especially with this low hours<p> signed: <br> Twice a Honda engine owner<br> (first and last)

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I am surprised that Honda only has a 1 year warranty. Most commercial motors have a 2 year warranty and the new Kohler Aegis has a 3 year warranty, unlimited hours.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

3. jeffie

jeffie LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

Eric<br>The servicing dealer brought the territory rep. in to look at this because he felt this was unusual and maybe some help on this problem was warranted. The rep. told me of the warranty period (1 year) and told me I was on my own.

4. By the time you buy the parts from honda to fix it you need to remember a 12 1/2 hp<br>tecumseh is $370 brand new.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about a Honda engine. Companies usually charge $100-$300 extra for the Honda engine option and usually everyone goes for it.

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

i will tell you that honda makes great engines except for the 13 hp. I had one on a leaf loader and it went through head gaskets and stripped muffler bolts at least once a year. Mine went through 2-3 head gaskets a season and that was run only oct and nov about 3 hrs a day.<br>Dino

7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

comparing tecumseh to honda is like comparing huffy to Trek.<br>Every manufact. has had glitches in some models at one time or another; some more than others, & usually with something when it first comes out.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

8. jeffie

jeffie LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

I'm not so much peeved at the engine letting go as I am with the response I'm getting from Honda. Things happen, and to me the way a company stands behind their product speaks a ton about their product. Paying a little more for a &quot;good&quot; engine would be O.K. if the support was there.