Honda Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, May 2, 2008.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

What's the difference in a Honda GCV engine on a Husqvarna push mower and a Honda OHC engine on a Yard-Man from Wal-Mart? Is it worth the extra $60?
  2. KingMoneyNYC

KingMoneyNYC LawnSite Member

I personally would rather have everything honda but I have heard people recommend just going with another name mower with a honda engine
  3. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Is there a difference in the gcv and the ohc
  4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Same engine.
  5. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

I assume you're talking about 21" mowers.. In most 21" lawn mowers, deck/blade design is usually alot more important than choice of engine. Unless you don't do maintenance or you like to hit rocks/pipes sticking out of the lawn, the engine will usually outlast the deck every time. In other words, I'd rather have a Toro super recycler/proline with a briggs flat-head than a Walmart MTD with a Honda engine.
  6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the tag on the side of the engine.

GCV160 = 4.4 HP
    GCV190 = 5.1 HP

They are both overhead cam. This might be the reason for the price discrepancy.
    Also, Wally World is your FLUC. (Friendly Local Under-Cutter)

Another reason for price difference - MTD (Yard-Man, Huskee, Cub Cadet, Bolens, and others) is using Honda "clones" from china. If there in no Honda tag on the engine but it looks like a Honda, It's a clone.
  7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

If it's really a true Honda engine on the Wal-Fart (I don't support wal mart if I can help it and try to avoid shopping there for anything) than it's the same basic engine. Keep in mind though that Husqvarna will stand behind their product better than Yard Man (MTD) will if there are any issues under warranty.