Honda engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Aug 27, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Are the Honda GXV390 13hp OHC/OHV engines any good? I find that they're about half the price as Kawasaki or Kohler (12.5hp Kaw, 15hp Kohler). All recoil start. The 13hp Honda is just $223.89 in J-Thomas catalog and I know a guy that says he can get it cheaper and it is not a factory screw-up model he gets either. I want to put it on a 32" eXmark belt drive w/b I'm getting soon, that needs rebuilt. I know Dixie has a 24hp? Honda V twin on a 60" ztr, so if it's good enough for dixie, it's good enough for me, but at that price it's almost hard to beleive it. I am sure it's a good engine though. Anyone have this engine and have any problems with it? I'm talking about the vertical shaft by the way. Thanks,
    Eric

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

No one has used a single cylinder Honda OHC/OHV engine before? I find that odd :(
    I just wanna know if I could get ripped here or if this is just a good buy...:)

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Stay away!!!! More trouble than you want. Spend the extra and get the kawi or kohler. Small Honda's are awesome, larger ones suck.

4. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

I have a Honda GXV 340 on a 36" Bunton with close to a 1,000 hours on it and have not had a bit of trouble with it. Just follow the maintenance schedule and you should not have any problems. The price you are talking about for the engine you are considering does sound awful low, I would be leary. Like they say if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

5. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know what you been smoking but j-thomas's price is $621.18 just wanted to let you know you might have made a mistake and been looking at the price for the 4.5hp

:confused:

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

J-Thomas 2002 Master Catalog

Page 117, Bottom right GXV390 = $223.38 (sounds awfull cheap, I'd check it out before you get your hopes up!)

4.5 hp is only $173.39

Where is this $621.18 engine I MOW ALONE??? Only one for that price is the 8hp HORIZONTAL with 6:1 reduction. Get your facts straight before you slam!!!

This engine should do the job on a 36" just fine!

Good Luck!

7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I circled that one the other day myself, page 117. Heck, that's half the price of a 12 hp Briggs. I wonder if that engine has an oil filter?

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

OK, I called them today, the GXV390 had a misprinted price. It is really $621.xx (18? not that it really matters). So, I MOW ALONE is correct, but in everyone else's catalog it's $223.xx. a 15hp Kohler is cheaper, at $499.99. I'm going to price around some more.
    Eric

9. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

ok TLSi except your appology and i wasnt slamming anyone i was just informing him and i do have my facts straight anybody that would believe that they can get a 13 hp honda for $225 brand new doesnt know much about equipment prices and you believed it TLS????? so next time you decide to be a smart a- - you better get your facts straight