honda engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by conwaymower, Feb 11, 2004.

1. conwaymower

conwaymower LawnSite Member

I think I am going to buy a Yazoo/Kees 61" with a 24 hp Honda. Has any one had experience with this engine?

2. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

I've been asking about this engine also. Try searching this forum for honda engines it might help. Is it new or used I'm looking at an '02 w over a thosand hours and it runs like a drem, but I'm like you lots of questions. I have heard that parts are long coming when something does go down. The drain plug is usually in some real hard to reach spot, but you can use a siphon system OR simply screw a fitting onto a piece of tubing and route it where you can get to it easy. Other than that I think they are probably good motors.

3. conwaymower

conwaymower LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I just know I am tired of the Briggs and Kohlers I have had. I want a Kawasaki or Honda. The only thing I have heard about the Honda from a sells rep was when transporting it has a tendency to flood. I personally don't believe this.

4. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

My dealer has 3 '02 Dixie's w/22hp honda's on 60" decks. All stated right up in cold garage last week after not having been run since Nov. I am thinking of buying one they have from 13-1700 hrs. but like I said they start up and run smooth as a baby's ...Don't think I will pass for $4300. The Kees new or used?

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got several mowers with Honda motors along with push blowers etc.... If at all possible I will always try but equipment with Honda motors, imo I think they are the best. I am a big supporter of Honda equipment. Downside: they are more expensive and parts are a little harder to get.

6. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

How many hrs. on mowers and what kind? If you don't mind.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

usually, I consider Honda as one of the top engines to buy...usually

8. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Can you tell me who still uses them on their comm ZTR's?

9. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

In my ag class at high school, Honda sent us a blown 22hp or 24hp that was on a generator (one of the kids dads worked for Honda, no way we woulda got our hands on this if the school had to pay for it). It was a really solid design from the inside out. I dont recal what caused it to give out. I have experince with the actual operation of these, but from the inside it appeared to be light years ahead of kohler and briggs. Just my 2 cents.

10. Premium Services

Premium Services LawnSite Member

Scag has a 52inch tiger cub with a 24hp honda