Honda FG 110 Tiller

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by john_incircuit, Dec 21, 2005.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a Honda FG 110 tiller and try to find the correct grease for the gearbox. The manual states that:" Replacement grease should be a high quality petroleum based NLGI #2 general purpose grease usually available in disposable tubes at most hardware or automotive parts stores.”

Problem is, I can find pure petroleum based grease. There is a huge selection of grease in the store and it seems that most are synthetic or on a lithium / moly base. I’m not an expert with the greases, but I recall that I should not mix different greases.

Just called the Honda “Customer Relations” hot line, and must have talked to the least friendly person that Honda employees. She basically said that the handbook states that this grease is available in the local hardware stores, and that it is not Hondas problem if it is not available…

Dealer doesn’t have this petroleum based grease either, only grease with lithium.

After all the gearbox issues I heard about on the older Honda mini tiller, I want to make sure that I use the correct grease. But, where do I find it?

Thanks,
    John

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey John, I called this place; http://www.planopower.com/contact.html Talked to a Guy about the grease and he looked in the service manual and said ANY general purpose grease would be just fine. He also said thats what they put in them in their shop. I also asked about gearbox problems with these little tillers and he said they have seen no problems with the FG110 but had quite a few with the FG100 because it is a smaller lighter duty built gearbox.
    We are a Honda dealer where I work but never handled the tiller line but I will look at the parts list tomorrow and see if it list a part # for the OEM grease.

Thats about the best I can do on this one.
    Take care

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Excellent help.

4. john_incircuit

from NC

Thanks Restrorob!!!
    John

PS: My John Deere is still running very good with the valves now adjusted properly. You should clone yourself and open up service centers all over the US!

5. Restrorob

Sorry John, If I could do that I wouldn't need the petty money. :laugh:

6. Restrorob

Well John, Couldn't find a micro fiche card on your unit. I don't understand why we didn't have one there were many other models but no 100 or 110 so I guess I struck out again.

Sorry.....

7. john_incircuit

from NC

When I talked to the Honda Customer Relations department I was told that there is no Honda part number for the grease, as every hardware store has it. At least around here, the reality is that neither our Honda dealer, Lowes, Home Depot, Advanced Auto, etc have the pure petroleum based grease. They primarily have the lithium and moly based grease and from what I read it is a big “no no” to mix different type of grease.

My frustration is that the grease is a vital part to the function of the machine. I want to do the right thing, add the right grease, why is it so time consuming to find the exact same grease that Honda was putting in to begin with? Should be able to go to he dealer, get it and be done with it.

I’ll give the Plano folks a call next week.

John

8. HopWorks

HopWorks LawnSite Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I too am interested in what I need to grease the transmission of my new FG110.

I understand that the grease is common and readily available. What I need to know is what applicator I need to get. I'm not a hardware guy, and I know there are grease guns that do the job, but I read somewhere about a "nipple" someone installed for the task then removed it. WHAT?

I want to keep my FG110 singing along over the years and maintaining it is a big part of that. What do I need to grease the tranny?

Thank you and sorry again for the old thread bump.

Gary

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

You probably don't need any applicator. I usually just square up the gun nozzle/tip with the opening an pump some grease in. There's not a lot of resistance, so very little squirts out the side. Not a big deal.

10. HopWorks

HopWorks LawnSite Member

Thank you sir, I appreciate it.
    Posted via Mobile Device