Honda GCV160 vs. B&S Quantum???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jun 27, 2007.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am in the market for a log splitter and narrowed it down to basically engine choice. I don't think either one is a commercial engine, but I am curious how the Honda GCV series compares to the Honda GX series? I have a few pieces of lawn care equippment that has the GX series egines an they, as most of you know, are great. On the log splitters, it's about a $200 upgrade to go from the B&S Quatum to the Honda GCV160.

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Honda small engines. That's all we run for lawn & tree spraying out of our pickup units. I have a 5.5 hp and an 8 hp Honda in my split tank spray unit. The 8 hsp Honda runs as well today as it did in 1990. Hondas start on the first pull, and they're easy on gasoline. My two cents.

3. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yes...but they are both probably GX series engines and correct me if I am wrong.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Matt, I have the log splitter with the honda engine that you're looking to buy. Do yourself a favor and buy the honda. Like you said, its 200.00 more, but its well worth it. I have 150+ hours on mine with ZERO problems. Even thought this engine is a residential engine, it works well. Keep the oil clean and it will last a lifetime. I run mine sometimes 6 hours at a time and does great. A tank of gas lasts a little over an hour, which is great. As you can tell from my sig, i'm a honda fan. Go with the honda over the briggs.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

One of the real questions that needs to be answered here before making a decision, is how often do you plan to use the log splitter?

The Honda GCV engines are residential engines. The Honda GX are the commercial line.

Look at other factors such as maintenance also.

The Briggs should last just as long as the GCV Honda in an application such as this and replacement parts (air filters etc) will likely be less expensive also. If you are going to be using it 20 hours a week or more, maybe get the Honda, if it's going to be more like 20 hours a season, might as well save the $200 and get the Briggs. The Honda will have the same problem as the Briggs with gas sitting in it that long.

6. Petr51488

from NJ

I would still go with honda. I bet you the honda would start on the first pull after sitting for a while.

7. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I agree.

I really appreciate Honda's power equipment. Yet, I have the splitter with the B&S. It works fine. My application is homeowner and friends. If I was going to use this splitter for more than homeowner, I would get a bigger splitter.

Good luck which ever you chose. Let us know.

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

Thanks for the input and yes, I have considered how much I will be using the unit. I have been leaning towards the Briggs for that reason and that reason alone. I am looking at probably around 20-30 hours a season. I have seen a similar splitter that has the Honda GX engine, but it's another $400 increase and then another $200 for shipping.

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

BTW, if you're curious, I am looking at the splitter that Home Depot has to offer. They offer the same splitter with either the 6.5hp briggs or 5hp honda gc.

10. Petr51488

from NJ

Yes, but i believe one of them has more tons of splitting. When i bought mine they had the two different models, one had more ton's than the other. I would still go with honda. When you need to use it, you know it will be reliable and dependable. But, it's your money.