Honda generator?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mr.Mow-It-All, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I was at Home Chepo today and saw that they had a 4000 watt generator with a honda 8 hp engine and it was only $599, It said reg, $1399. I don't know much about generators but do know that seems pretty cheap and thinking of buying it just to have. Is there something I missing?

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as there is not a hurricane, Y2K, etc, generators come down in price quite a bit. They definitely are seasonal trends at winter and cheaper in spring/summer.

Thing with "cheap" generators is that the alternator is usually rather low-grade and does not produce very "clean" power....lots of distortion.

I think that price sounds good for a Honda, I would just be leary of using it to power electronics.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If it's a Honda/Honda generator (meaning it's a Honda engine and a Honda generator head) then that's a killer price and I would ask why it's so cheap. That price is below what a dealer would pay for a Honda 4000 watt generator and The Home Depot is in this for the money.

4. Mr.Mow-It-All

I don't believe that the generator it self is a honda brand, just the motor I think. Still seems like a good price, one of my dealers sells hondas and I had noticed that they have those small quiet ones that are 1000 watt for 6-700.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, usually the non Honda generator heads are nowhere nearly as dependable as a true Honda generator. Honda also makes some less quiet engines that are every bit as loud as a Briggs or Tecumseh engine. You get what you pay for.

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

if you worry about un-clean power, then use a power conditioner, or a line filter

7. Mr.Mow-It-All

My ???? is mainly do you think it would be worth buying. I don't realy have a need for one, just thought for the money it might be worth having around.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't plan on using it regularly, I think it weill do ok for emergency use. Is it powered by a true genuine HONDA engine or one of the knock offs like what pepboys sells?

9. Mr.Mow-It-All

I didn't look that closely, just noticed that the engine said honda on it. How do I tell if it is a knock off?

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I say buy it. I've got a generator powering my shop, since theres no local source of electrical wires to run power to it, I just put a genset in there, along with a compressor, grinder, and the basic small stuff I normally need. works pretty good, plus in hurricane season, I've got backup power for the house too.