Honda GX160, Won't start when cold !!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ftgulal, Feb 24, 2006.

1. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

It will not start no matter what when it is below 60 degrees. Have checked for a spark when it does this and it is not getting one. If I take a heater and heat the motor for about 5 minutes, it will fire right up. Have tried starting fluid, premium gas, choking, everything and still gives problems. Honda GX160, 5.5 hp. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Pull off your air cleaner and make sure the choke plate is closing fully when you choke it. This is the first plate you will see looking into the carb.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just below the on-off switch is a wire coming out of the engine block, It plugs into the wires with the switch. Unplug this one wire and check for spark.
    That wire is for the low oil alert, It's possible the oil is too thick and causing the float on the alert to stick or it could be that it is just gummed up and freeing up when warmed. I don't know what weight oil you run but Honda recommends 10w-30.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

BTW maniac, Just a little school. You can't see the choke plate on this engine without pulling the complete filter assembly off. :waving:

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hah, true, I apparantly missed the part where he specifically said "this engine has no spark when this occurs." Since when do choke plates cause no spark, lol...