Honda GX390 not running at full speed?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cariboulou, Jan 17, 2012.

1. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

Just took my pressure washer out of storage from about 2 yrs, drained old fuel, took carb apart and cleaned with carb cleaner including jet. Engine starts and runs great with choke at 1/2 position but when open choke and full throttle it dies within 3 seconds or so. Ive cleaned carb 2x and refilled with fresh gas. Could it need a valve adjustment? I didnt see a lot if any oil in carb? It runs good with carb at full throttle and 1/2 choke for as long as i need it to. Any suggestions?? Its a honda gx390 13hp.

2. cariboulou

just read the earlier post about cleaning carb, but I failed to push out nozzle and clean that...could that be problem? Ill try again tomorrow.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could be Lou, If all else fails you can get a new carb and other pressure washer parts HERE.

I haven't had any issues with these Chinese carbs.....

4. cariboulou

Just cleaned carb for the 3rd time and removed and cleaned nozzle and cleaned everything well, but still only runs good at 1/2 choke. Could this be a carb issue, I've never adjusted valves? where can i find specs for valve clearance?

5. Restrorob

It sure sounds like something isn't fully open inside the carb,
    Have you replaced the spark plug (BPR6ES) ? I've seen fouled/weak firing plugs cause a issue such as this....

Valve adjustment if you want to check;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. cariboulou

the spark plug?? wonder why? I'll change that out to see if that helps. then check valve adjustment. If still not running right, ill have to order replacement carb. I just assumed that it was a carb issue, but it runs great at half choke so I know fuel is getting though ok. Ive cleaned it 3x! thanks for help!

7. cariboulou

when im looking at valves...which one is intake and exhaust?

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Remove the fuelbowl drain screw. Check the gas flow.
    You may have a clogged fuel screen in the tank.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Restrorob

Ditto what Slapper said ^^^^

The intake is the one closest to the carb....

10. cariboulou

ok will do, tried a new spark plug but still not running right. I cleaned out jet and nozzle holes with a small wire to make sure they aren't clogged and ran air through again. Still not good. Definetly not clogged, should i run machine with drain screw out and plugged with thumb. everytime i've taken carb apart there is fuel in the bowl.

Now I can run machine with no choke and full throttle but under load, when I pull trigger on gun, with fluctuates from high to low to high to low , etc.....