honda gx620 surging at WOT

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JRS Landscaping, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Let us know if the carb didn't solve the problem:waving:

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

3. Landrus2

For near $200 bucks let a mechanic look at your carburetor can save you from miss diagnose:waving:

4. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second what Landrus said earlier - run it through an ultrasonic carb cleaner. I think I paid less than $50 for an ultrasonic cleaner from HF and it has fixed carbs that didn't respond to an earlier rebuild attempt. They work really well for cleaning out the internal passages you can't get to.

5. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well got new carb on and it runs a lot better. however it still surges unless i pull the choke ever so slightly. Checked main jet and its a 95# I'm almost at sea level. Anyone got any ideas, I'm at a loss. I set the choke so it was on ever so slightly in the off position and it runs normal. Rob would turning that limiting screw out solve this?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Give it a try, You've got nothing to loose.....

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Did ya ever open up the main jet on the old carb as was suggested? If not, ya might wanna try reaming it out with a torch tip cleaner or jet drill. Use a loose fitting one and just roll the jet over the knurl/spirals. Ya don't wanna hog too much out.
    Install it in yer new carb and see what happens.

You are running an air filter, right?

8. Landrus2

Hey JRS how far are you from JFK .

9. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

Dude Send it to me. Ill run it in my FS110 Ultrasonic cleaner. Nothing against harbor freight and I own a harbor freight myself. My unit is a triple frequency unit. Just pay to and return shipping and Ill tank it for you no charge... Pm me if you`re interested.

10. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

If it don't work normally on its own something is wrong. I am seeing all kinds of crazy suggestions. DO NOT under any circumstances make any holes bigger or modify anything. There is something dirty inside the carb not allowing the proper amount of fuel to pass. Also if you need a new carb its $48.75

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Carbure...885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abd8e9885

OEM CARB IS 89.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Honda-G...817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e84aece1

Also are you running it without air filter? Hondas require the choke from the air filter as pat of their normal running to get that extra little bit of gas.