honda gx620 surging at WOT

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JRS Landscaping, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well finally success. I took the old main jet and filed it slightly larger with a torch tip cleaner set like metioned before. by restro and bigfish. Runs awesome with no choke anymore!

Restro Thank you for all your help!.....hope i didn't drive you nuts! :dizzy: LOL

Land rus. im 40 min from GWB.

Tiger. I was running with an air filter but no pre filter. Run fine with slight choke or if i squeezed the rubber boot to restrict airflow very slightly. Unit sat for years and bought at estate sale not running. I just got it going again don't know history except 160 hours on machine
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Naw...... Not at all, I only wish you had'a opened the jet before buy'n a new carb.....

NOT "crazy" at all tiger, Perhaps you missed this;

And the SAME thing happened to JRS, Ain't no fancy pants carb cleaner gonna open a main jet to MAKE a engine run correctly.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do...... ;)
  3. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

We don't know all the facts. We don't know if he bought an oem carb or aftermarket. If it was an aftermarket then I can imagine it not being quite perfect. As far as carbs go though your right. You do what you gotta do. I have never had to modify an oem carb on a honda engine just saying.
  4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Imagine that! Bet yer wishin' you tried that trick, before ya bought that new carb, huh? At least ya got it running OK.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The facts we do know is most aftermarket carbs are built to OEM specs, Both JRS's old and new carbs had a #95 main jet, There's a very slim chance a brand new carb will have a dirty restricted port/passageway, All engine manufacturers are REQUIRED to lean engines out to pass emissions regulations......

I had four (4) brand new carbs that caused a surge on two (2) brand new out the box 8000 watt gen sets, Someone down the pike got the jet ports too small causing a lean run surge from the factory. I likely could have ordered a whole case of carbs and still ended with the same results (surge), The ONLY fix was to drill the jets to the next size.

After the above ordeal, I have no issues with drill'n a jet out if all else fails...... And on a brand new machine, I'll drill first before ordering another new carb.......