Honda GXV-620 noise

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cranesrule, Oct 10, 2006.

1. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

Here's one for all the Honda experts...

I have an 06 Hustler Fastrak with a 20hp Honda VTwin GXV-620. The engine runs great but has what sounds like a metallic tapping/ticking sound that can be heard at low idle especially after startup. It doesn't seem to be coming from the engine itself, more like out of the exhaust, but it definitely sounds like a ticking not an exhaust pop. New oil, 10w-30, full on dipstick, 17 hrs on engine. It performs great, just want to know if the noise is normal. The engine is very quiet otherwise. Any ideas?

Mark

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The muffler may have a bad internal baffle, If the unit is that new take it back to the dealer have the problem fixed while still under the manufactures warranty.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

could be where the muffler attaches to the engine. take a vinyl,rubber or garden hose about 3 feet long and put your ear on one end and probe for the sound with the other. you'll be amazed what you'll here.

4. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

Restrorob would you comment on this?

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, It could be a baffle loose as MM said or a slight exhaust leak as khouse mentioned. I found 1/8" vacuum hose taped to a straightened out coat hanger works good for keeping your hands away from hot exhaust systems, It could possibly be improperly torqued fasteners. I have a stethoscope for locating odd noises but a long thin blade screw driver held to your ear works good also.

Sound will travel through a engine so I would try the screw driver method on a couple places then the valve covers, It's possible the valves were miss-adjusted from the factory. If you can't find the source I would definitely do as MM said and take it back to your dealer and let them check it out.